Nova T 380

Female Contraception - Contraceptive Coils

Review of "Nova T 380"

published 18/04/2005 | lj210701
Member since : 13/10/2004
Pro no more forgetting to take your pill
Cons possible chance of ectopic pregnancy
Side effects
Strength

"for convenience use the coil !!"

Let me tell you about myself, I am now 26 with two children. From the age of 16 I went on the contraception Pill and tried various ones as they caused headaches and moody spells. I came off the pill when I was 22 to try for my first baby and after she was born I just decided to go straight back on the pill because being young I didnt really think that there was much else on offer.

We quickly decided to plan another baby so I wasn't on the pill for a long time and 14 and a half months after my daughters birth my son was born and this time having two young children to think about I worried that I would forget to take my pill so I spoke to my doctor and decided to go for the contraceptive injection. I have about 5 of this injections over the next year or so but my doctor only saw this as a short term solution as it is linked to Osteoporosis so this is when my doctor and nurse both suggested the coil which I thought I would bite the bullet and try. My cousin had previously had one fitted and was in agony with stomach pains for days and had to have it removed, so this had obviously put me off so when I told this to my nurse she said that this is normally a problem when it is not inserted properly, but as my doctor who would be fitting it used to be a gynacologist he is an expert, this set my mind at ease!!

I quickly had my Nova T 380 fitted and for the first couple of days I had some very slight period pains but nothing that bothered me enough to really think about it. And from then on I never had any problems, I had a six week check with my nurse and everything was fine.

We then decided a few months later decided to have another baby so I called my nurse and she removed it within the next couple of days. I did worry that it may have affected my fertility which is apparently possible and as I fell for both my other kids first month of trying I was concerned but we had no problems and I fell straight away and am now 8 weeks pregnant with number 3 (must be completely mad!!!!)

Anyway, as soon as number 3 is born I will be going straight back to the doctors to have another one fitted, it is so convenient.

The one thing that I would suggest to anyone considering having one fitted is find out about the person that is going to be fitting it and if they have no kind of gynacological background perhaps try a local family planning clinic as they are more likely to do it on a more regular basis and as they say 'practice makes perfect'

• nadiawalton published 02/09/2005
    Very helpful - I'm in the process of changing my contraception so this is extremely interesting reading thankyou!
  • tennisnut published 18/04/2005
    Some good helpful advice. Good luck with number three! Gill xx
  • krakakoutas published 18/04/2005