Review of "Now You See Me (DVD)"

published 30/08/2013 | xmum2fourx
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"The closer you think you are, the less you will actually see"

As soon as I came across the first trailer for this film I knew I wanted to see it. It has a really strong cast with Jesse Eisenberg, Morgan Freeman and Isla Fisher to name a few. It looked as though it was a high budget film with an interesting plot, and as I usually really enjoy heist movies, so I made an effort to see it.

Plot

Four magicians are invited to a mysterious meeting with an unknown person. When they arrive it is clear that with each of their different talents, working together they would be unstoppable. We are then shown the characters a year later, when they have named themselves the Four Horseman, and have a sold out show in Vegas. They shock the audience with an announcement they are going to rob a bank live on stage, and what follows leads the FBI to start investigating them and how they managed to pull of such a trick. The Four Horseman always seem one step behind, but with three heists for over a billion dollars can the FBI figure the whole thing out in time?
My thoughts

I was looking forward to seeing Jesse Eisenberg as J. Daniel Atlas. I always see him as a geeky character, so to see a complete reverse on that is great. He is a control freak magician that believes the attention should always be on him. He manages this role very well and within a few minutes of the film I had wiped the social network persona completely out of my head. Isla fisher as Henley Reeves is perfect for the character she plays, a bright bubbly show girl who has strong ideas. She used to be Atlas’s assistance, and there is some chemistry between them which they play out perfectly.

Woody Harrelson as Meritt for me was one of the best characters. His skill is hypnotising people, so of course this offers lots of opportunity for humour. He plays the funny man very well and keeps the audience laughing throughout the film. Dave Franco as Jack Wilder again seems very well cast. He is the novice of the group but his skills at being able to break into anything come in handy. He plays the wild boy that needs training a little perfectly, and a fits well with the other three characters in the group.

Morgan Freeman plays Thaddeus Bradley an older magician ready to make his comeback. He tries to aid the FBI by breaking down how they managed to pull off such a stunt. I thought the character was brilliant. He played it very well so he seemed like he had the upper hand, but at the same time he seemed just as confused as the police. He manages to keep the audience guessing as to how much he knows and as always it is really good acting.

Mark Ruffalo was great at playing the FBI officer. He really didn’t seem interested in his job but as the magicians start to fool him he becomes determined to catch them. It is all about ego rather than loving the job he does and his determination really makes the film more enjoyable. Mélanie Laurent plays the French officer brought in to aid him in his investigations. This for me was the only weakness of the casting. While Mark and Melanie are strong actors independently in the film, when together I just found their scenes awkward and a bit forced. The sexual chemistry between them is a bit laughable, but isn’t overly irritating.

As you would expect with a film based around magic, not everything is what it seems. There are twists and turns throughout the plot of the movie that keep the audience guessing about what is going to happen next. I can’t help thinking the plot could have been a little more original, and even I could tell what was going to happen and usually I have no clue. I do not think this really matters as it is enjoyable to watch the twists unfold anyway. There were still times I was shocked at the outcome of an event, but it just seemed to be lacking something.

It is a high budget film and some of the special effects are amazing. Of course there are lots of illusions and magic taking place most of the time, and they really make sure it feels special and futuristic. That’s what makes the film so enjoyable to watch as there are so many visual treats that even if you already know where the story is going to end at least it is fun watching it. It’s not a film I will remember for years to come, but really enjoyable to watch to pass the time.

The FBI working with Thaddeus Bradley works perfectly as a sub plot. While we still jump forwards and backwards in time as the investigation takes place, it works well to distract away from the showiness of the film and finally build some characters a little more. That leads me to my downside which is character development. I like light films that I can enjoy without really having to think, but this seemed a little too undeveloped.

We start of the film from the point of view of the magicians. We meet each individually showcasing their talents, but it really is only a five minute introduction and then straight into the film. From then on there is no development what so ever as we then jump across to the FBI’s point of view. This means as much as the actors make the characters have huge personalities and really likable characters, you have no care for them as it just keeps jumping from different points of views.

I would highly recommend the film as I found it to be an enjoyable watch. The special effects were fantastic, and they made the magic in the film really feel like special and unique. The whole direction and acting in the film is perfect and it is a light yet interesting watch. The plot is strong and the twists and turns live up to the motto in the film and it is an enjoyable watch. I would watch it again but I’m not sure it is something you could watch over and over again as the storyline relies on not knowing the twists and turns.

• Kukana published 04/09/2013
    Sounds very interesting!
  • angelboouk123 published 31/08/2013
    E x
  • emmad5689 published 31/08/2013
    I found this film very intriguing x