Npower

published 08/10/2002 | sonic1971
Member since : 23/07/2002
Pro NONE
Cons UNFRIENDLY, NOT CUSTOMER FOCUSED

"NPOWER N STANDS FOR NEVER EVER AGAIN"

Just thought I would write about the problems that I have been experiencing with one of the big utility companies. As the heading suggests it relates to Npower. In my personal view, I would not touch this company with a barge pole. They are the most unfriendly, un customer focused company, who do not help you in any circumstance.

My story starts about a year ago when my wife decided to go for dual fuel. For what ever reason, she picked Npower, who also sponsor the Bill. The Bill is the problem we have been having.

Since we took on Npower, our meter readings have been read on numerous occasions. However, they have never been used. We first realised the problem we were in when we noticed that the official meter reader gave us a copy of our meter reading. We then compared it to our bill and realised that we were about 20,000 units out.

When we spoke to Npower initially, they said that we must have been powering the street for that figure. They said that they would get someone to read the meter again. So we had to take time off work. We then contacted them 3 weeks later, to see what had been done about our problem. Nothing had. They said something was wrong with the reading and that it would have to be read again. By this time I was getting annoyed. I explained to them that it was the initially starting meter reading that they needed to look at, as we thought this was wrong.

Months passed and nothing happened, despite my calls. I explained to them that we were moving house soon and they said that it would all be sorted out by then. But it was not. We moved out of the property and received a bill for £1200. Furious I rang them up and explained that our account was in dispute and wondered why the sent me this bill. They explained that they had to close our account down and we should ignore this bill. Any person in our situation could have paid that bill and thought nothing of it, thinking that the problems had been sorted.

Still despite numerous calls they had not sorted it out. In the end I contacted the watchdog who looked into it for me, which they did and got it sorted out. We have just received a final bill for £195 instead of the £1,200. Big difference. Big mistake. During this time we have spent a fortune on telephone calls, taking time off work and getting more and more frustrated and worried. It turned out that the starting meter reading was wrong and should have been higher. Yet despite the meter being officially read, they did not use the readings, so the moral of this story is, that if your meter is read make should that the figure is used, or you could end up paying the wrong amount. It is no wonder these companies make so much profit. Simply put do not use this company or dual fuel.

• Botty published 13/02/2004
    You think that's bad... I received a quarterly bill for £2600 from NPower a year ago. They dragged heels for a year and then said they had made a mistake, then did nothing, so I contacted Energy Watch and later NPower wrote saying that the bill was correct and that I should pay it! Oh and they also threatened to send in Bailiffs! Energy Watch is still trying to resolve this problem. Oh and NPower were deliberate in trying to stall me with a pack of lies!! NPower are criminals (thieves!) and should be behind bars, I hope they go bust! However, the Government are really to blame for privatisation, which really means let someone else take the flak! The trouble is Energy Watch inadvertently protect these companies from legal action. I declare NPower Britain's worst company!
  • sarsons published 23/11/2002
    Thanks for the warning.
  • Cat-Fingers published 07/11/2002
    Sounds like a real bunch of cowboys, will steer well clear.

Product Information : Npower