Nu Nation Project - Kirk Franklin

Nu Nation Project - Kirk Franklin

Review of "Nu Nation Project - Kirk Franklin"

published 04/04/2006 | Firelynxx
Member since : 05/12/2002
Pro Absolutely brilliant
Cons None!
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"R'n'b at it's best but with a message"

Wow, what an album. And before I go any further, I am adding this as an afterthought and because of comments received, and something I had not thought of at the time of writing the review - and that is that the music is so good there is no reason why it should not be enjoyed by a secular audience - yes it is Christian in message, but if you enjoy r & b/hip hop there is plenty here to keep you happy - I mean, you might not necessarily agree with all of Eminem's lyrics but that doesn't stop you enjoying (or not as the case may be!) his stuff does it? .So give it a go!

Anyway, I almost didn't buy it because I hated the cover and was expecting something way too hip hoppy and far from God - but I got it for £1 on eBay so thought it was worth the risk! And how wrong my fears were, it is an absolutely amazing album. I still don't like the garish colours and there is nothing to make you think you are looking at a Christian album, but maybe I am just old! I love that the lyrics are all included but sadly some are a little hard to read because of the background graphics and colours. One thing that really stands out though is the Bible verse references that are included under each song title - so if you opened up the booklet not realising it was a Christian album, you would soon realise! It is great to be able to reach for the Bible and read the verses as you listen to the song, making it a much more complete experience of praising God through music.

From the first seconds of the opening track "Interlude" I was hooked, what a GREAT way to start an album! The album is almost a story, the opening being a court "scene" with Kirk Franklin standing trial accused of crimes such as being a "secular artist posing as a Christian artist", "trying to take the gospel to the world", "tearing down the walls of religion", "making gospel music too secular". Then it launches into the rousing Revolution which I defy anyone not to want to sing along with. Within these first two tracks it becamse very apparent that Kirk Franklin has a lot of views like my own, namely less religion and more relationship with God.

Lean on Me was a huge hit in the States, and I like it, even if it does seem a bit schmalzy at times. It opens with the wonderful tones of R Kelly who is as good as ever but it is Mary J Blige's input that stands out. Bono's bit is also good and it is nice to see artistes that might not necessarily be seen as "Christian" showing their faith and appearing on a "gospel" album. Fred Hammond also guests on "My Desire".

"Something about the name" Jesus is a song I love anyway, and this version is great, very gospelly. The album ranges from the softest, gentlest of tracks, such as "He loves me", a very interesting cover of Bill Wither's "Lovely Day", a song I am not keen on, but I really like this version.

This album even made me laugh with the Interlude "The Car (Stomp)", Kirk definitely has a sense of humour but it also makes you stop and think about how people say one thing to your face and something entirely different behind your back.

I can't remember when I last heard an album with such a wind ranging range of tracks, every possible genre seems to be here in some shape or form and unlike a lot of gospel albums it is not at all "samey", the next track is always something different and there is no danger of falling asleep to this one! One minute you are listening to something slow and worshipful ("I can", "Hold Me Now" ) from the Family that brings you nearer to God, next you are listening to something rousing ("If you've been delivered", "Praise Joint") that makes you want to jump and shout for the Lord. Next it is something that has you nodding your head in agreement with Kirk's words.

Kirk opens "Blessing in the Storm" with a spoken intro saying he hopes the album has ministered to the listener's heart and soul - oh, it has! I have listened to this album more than any in my collection, which is very extensive.

I am sure Kirk has his detractors, and I can say that he is guilty of all charges against him in track one, and thank the Lord for that, we need more Kirk Franklin's out there!

I honestly can't fault this album, I love the hip hop/rap (and I am not a huge rap fan), I love the gospel, I love the slow tracks, I love the fast tracks, love it all, everything about it (ok, apart from the orange/yellow cover!) What else can I say, except buy it, buy it, buy it and get your praise on!

• anonymili published 04/04/2006
    Don't see many gospel music reviews on here. Nicely done, especially for a first review :) Enjoy Ciao, it's fun! Millie x
  • Sgathach published 04/04/2006
    I see you are getting the hang of this. Well done. Sheena
  • jovichick123 published 04/04/2006
    Doesn't sound like my kind of music but I can tell you loved it! Great review - Sarah x