OCZ ARC100-25SAT3-240G 240 GB

OCZ ARC100-25SAT3-240G 240 GB

Review of "OCZ ARC100-25SAT3-240G 240 GB"

published 04/04/2015 | dobieg
Member since : 31/01/2003
I'm a miserable old git. I'm ashamed to say it's been a **** very **** long time since I reviewed my "trusts", have sought to rectify this by going through every review I've written in the past couple of years, if you feel hard-done-by, drop me a note.
Pro Quiet, reasonable cost, lower power and quick
Cons More expensive than standard disk
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"More zoom than an ice lolly!"

All right – so the reference to a particular brand of frozen treat will probably be lost on anyone under a particular age, but take it from me, Solid State Disks (SSDs) are a well-established means of speeding up an otherwise lethargic system.

Just for reference, The Zoom in question was a multi-coloured lolly from Lyons Maid – contemporary with the FAB, which I believe is still in production, both were heavily marketed as a ‘thunderbirds’ merchandising tie-in.
I have an otherwise perfectly functioning desktop computer which is nearly six years old – I’ve already maxed out the memory (at a mere 4Gb) and upgraded the hard disk twice.

The particular design of this system doesn’t lend itself to further upgrades (It’s an “all in one” computer which doesn’t allow me to upgrade the processor or motherboard) it still performs moderately well, but I’ve noticed it takes an eternity to boot up, and recent upgrades to applications programs seem to take a lot longer to load up.

I didn’t especially want to reload windows (after installing a ‘clean’ version it also involves downloading and applying all the patches to Windows/7, and then I’d have to re-install all my apps) I did notice, however, that the Hard Disk light seems to spend most of it’s time “on” which indicated that the disk may be contributing to the slowness.

A “quick and dirty” fix, I thought would be to install a solid state disk, the OCZ ARC-100 240 fitted the bill entirely.

A little background first; SSDs are inherently very fast at delivering data. Whereas a conventional disk spins – and will on average take a few milliseconds to reposition the read/write heads, then rotate to the correct sector, SSDs provide near instant response. There’s a downside in as much as they are a lot more expensive per gigabyte, and eventually ‘wear out’ electrically.

Most of the data on my system is fairly static, it’s video files I’ve shot myself, pictures, and music.

I have long since migrated these to a ‘network attached storage’ (NAS) device as this is the cheapest way I can provide ‘protected’ storage at high volume.
All that leaves on my PCs hard disk is Windows and the application programs.
Instead of the 2Tb disk currently installed, I’d pared that down to less than 200Gb. The OCZ ARC-100 240would therefore provide plenty of space, and some.

Now we’re getting down to the nitty gritty.

SATA disks – whether the “desktop” 3.5” or “laptop” 2.5” share a common connector.
Even though these are primarily intended for laptop use, I was confident it would work in my desktop system without any major messing about.
All I needed was a 2.5 to 3.5 “caddy” which I bought for £4 on Ebay – mount the drive onto a tin plate and it will fit the old ‘hole’.

Now comes the interesting part.

I needed to migrate all the data from my ‘conventional’ hard drive to the SSD – for that I used EaseUS Partition manager Free Edition – I had a spare SATA to USB interface in my toolbox, and after taking a huge amout of care to make sure I had the correct ‘from’ and ‘to’ assignments correct, I set about creating a duplicate of the ‘spinny’ hard disk. This took about an hour and a half.

I then swapped in the SSD into the computer (keeping the old drive safe) and fired up the PC – and in next to no time I was running my old PC, only very much faster!
SSD devices have several distinct advantages over conventional disks.

The’re a LOT faster – even if your PC uses SATA (1) or SATA (2) as opposed to SATA 3 – which this drive comes with – the increase in access speed is still very noticeable (“latency” is very much reduced)

The drives use less power, and hence far less cooling, and run silently.
They’re also immune to vibration or shock – although bear in mind in a laptop, the screen isn’t any stronger as a result!

There are two downsides, one is obvious the other less so;

Bear unit of storage, and in spite of falling costs, SSDs are far more expensive (I recently bought a 3Tb disk for the same cost as this 240Gb item)

The less obvious issue is that SSD technology ‘wears out’.
OCZ has come in for criticism in the past for being a bit ‘flakey’ – that related to previous generations of kit.

Everything on my C: drive is replicable, so if one was to head south, it wouldn’t matter a great deal – I even have the old Hard Disk I could revert to. The unit comes with a three year guarantee – and for the moment that seems perfectly adequate (I will still regularly back it up to the NAS just to be on the safe side though)

Through EaseUS all my passwords and settings were preserved, so I don’t even have to go through any of that.

In terms of performance, booting up still takes a little longer that I would really want – that’ probably because the system does a lot of update checking, and that’s dependant on my internet connection) what I HAVE noticed is that programs which once took a long time to load (Open Office and Picasa to name but two) load almost instantly.

In short, for £65 I have breathed new life into my PC, it’s faster, uses less power, and is quieter.

If you’ve done all the other things to speed up your PC, and it’s still too slow, consider this an option instead of buying a new one.

• JRCarter published 20/07/2015