Oakley Fives Squared

Oakley Fives Squared

Accessory - Sunglasses

Review of "Oakley Fives Squared"

published 26/04/2012 | michelley26
Member since : 11/11/2009
Pro impact resistant lenses, superb quality
Cons don't come with a hard case for protection
Design/Style

"happy with my Oakleys"

I have far too many pairs of designer sunglasses, around a dozen I think (ooops best not tell my husband this!). All of my sunglasses bar this pair of Oakleys are 'fashion' designer sunglasses I would say rather than 'practical' designer sunglasses. We do a lot of mountain biking both here at home and on holiday, and also a lot of water sports when on holiday so I wanted a 'sporty' pair of sunglasses, and Oakley certainly fits the bill for this. I would say that this is probably first and foremost what Oakleys are typically known for, but a lot of people do just wear Oakleys for the fashion aspect.

I have to say that when I bought my Oakleys it was a real struggle to find a pair that suited me, I obviously don't have the right kind of face shape for a pair of Oakleys. The ones that I bought, the Fives, were actually the only style that suited me. Normally I suit most sunglasses, hence why I have so many pairs! But not so with the Oakley range.

The Fives that I bought are the Polarised Fives Squared. The frame colour is a really nice brown mottled tortoiseshell colour, with the Oakley 'O's in bronze on the sides. The lenses are a polarised lens in a bronze colour.
Oakleys don't actually come with a hard case to protect them, they just come with a soft microfibre drawstring bag. The bag also doubles up as your cleaning cloth. You can buy Oakley hard cases seperately but they are quite expensive, at £20.00. I bought my Oakleys from Sunglass Hut in the Duty Free area in Heathrow Airport, and they sold much cheaper own brand hard cases, I just bought one of these for less than a fiver.

I've been really impressed with my Oakleys, they are really lightweight, and really comfortable to wear for long periods of time. They wrap around and hug my face quite tightly, so they don't let in any sunlight whatsoever. They sit quite close to my face but not too close that my eyelashes touch the lenses when I blink, and also not too close that they make my face hot and sweaty.
I was initially a bit dubious as to whether they would stay on my face if I did get a bit sweaty as they dont tuck behind your ears like most sunglasses, the sides are straight and they just 'grip' behind your head instead. However they do stay on and stay secure, even if you get really hot. They are surprisingly comfortable considering that they 'grip' your head, you don't even know that you are wearing them most of the time.
They definately have a sporty look to them, but it isn't too sporty. I certainly feel comfortable wearing them for most occasions.

The lenses I guess are why most people choose Oakleys for sport. Oakley lenses are impact resistant, basically they won't shatter if say a stray piece of gravel hits the lens whilst out biking. They filter out 100% of all UV light. The polarised lenses that I have reduce glare even further, especially glare which bounces off roads or snow or water. I have to say that I'm really impressed with the quality of the lenses, everything is crystal clear when viewed through the lenses, with no glare whatsoever. If you are looking at water, the sea or a lake for instance, instead of just seeing the sun bounce off the surface of the water you can actually see through into the water with no glare whatsoever. They are brilliant for driving in bright sunlight, no glare whatsoever bounces up off the road surface or the bonnet of the car.

I've had an awful lot of use out of my Oakleys, and I would certainly buy another pair if I were to lose them or if they were to end up damaged. I use them all the time if we are out biking, and at other times I keep them in the glove compartment in the car as these are the sunglasses that I feel most comfortable driving in as they definately offer the clearest vision in bright sunlight.

We also got my husband a pair of Oakleys at the same time in the airport, he got a pair of Straight Jackets, and he has been just as impressed with the quality of them as well. He actually suited quite a lot of the Oakley designs, he must have a face shape better suited to Oakleys than me!

• danielclark691 published 26/04/2012
    good review

offers "Oakley Fives Squared"