Off the Deep End - Weird Al Yankovic

Off the Deep End - Weird Al Yankovic

Review of "Off the Deep End - Weird Al Yankovic"

published 06/11/2006 | x_jo_x
Member since : 06/11/2006
Pro Humouress without offense
Cons Lyrics aren't really well thought, what ever rhymes, stick it in!
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Smells Like Nirvana?"

Where do we start? We see a slight resemblance to an album cover we've seen before, yes, Nirvana's album "never mind" looks so similar, obviously the baby has grown and is that a doughnut I spy? Who could possibly be the artist of such an album? Alfred Matthew Yankovic or better known as Weird al Yankovic - Born 1959 proud owner of three gold and five platinum records in America, and I bet there's alot of you who have no idea who this guy is!
Alfred is famous for his comical song writing skills, well I say song writing, by that I mean he writes the lyrics, someone's already made up the tunes. We just love the way he rewrites the lyrics so that they aren't criticising to the original artists work (He didn't even make one comment about 'children' in any of his Michael Jackson rewrites!) but add humour, and the lyrics just seem to fit so perfectly as if they were meant to be.

Off the deep end starts with the Nirvana theme, the all too famous 'smells likes teen spirit' with it's new title 'smells like Nirvana' It doesn't even matter that the lyrics aren't really that wonderful, and obviously no deep thought has been taken to write them but it still sounds great! With 'Hello, hello, hello, heeelllooo' translating to 'Don't know, don't know, don't know, dooon't knoow' We see a slight sense of 'taking the mick' in the lines 'Boy, this oughta bug your parents' 'Well, we don't sound like Madonna' and Buy our album, we're Nirvana' but no one cares! Weird Al just has this touch which would allow him to take the mick out of the most meaningful song ever but we still wouldn't mind! We even like the way he just adds stupid words just to rhyme! 'A garage band from Seattle. Well, it sure beats raising cattle'

All the other songs are just as great! I'm sure there's a song that will tickle your fancy

You just gotta love this guy! OK so maybe it's not the stuff you'd really listen to at grandma's but it's the kinda stuff you'd catch your mad grandma listening to when you come round to help with the cleaning!

If you haven't had the delightful experience of listening to Weird Al, what are you waiting for? Amazon gives a very good price of $10.99! There's a song to suit everyone, from his Avril and Nirvana to his Christmas collection - We just can't get enough!

(As this is my first review all comments are very much appreciated - Constructive criticism please! lol! Thanks Jo xx)

• dazmatron616 published 15/11/2006
    i gave it a high cos i no how good the 'Smells like Nirvana' song is and it is good. Maybe a little bit more info on the other songs would improve this review for others but its a good review. Daz x
  • HungryHungarian published 07/11/2006
    Tis a fine first review to be sure! My only comment is that you started fantastically desribing one song then seemed to lose interest in what you were writing! Detail is a good thing! Sorry for the the slightly low rating, I feel bad so if you edit it slightly with a little more info then I'll happily re reate it, just let me know in my Guest Book. Good Luck! Michael
  • duskmaiden published 07/11/2006
    I like hi version of cat'; in the cradle! I think you sghould tlk more about the other songs though