Oil of Olay Daily Facials

Oil of Olay Daily Facials

Cleansing Cloth

Review of "Oil of Olay Daily Facials"

published 30/07/2002 | Maddi69
Member since : 15/04/2002
Pro Disposable
Cons Expensive

"Screw the environment"

I'm a lazy girl when it comes to skin care - if there is an easy and quick way for me to do I'll try it out. Otherwise its as Miss Love says "When you wake up in your make up . . . ."

It was for this reason and a £1.00 voucher off that I chose Olay's Daily Facials. Even with the coupon they are breathtakingly expensive face wipes. I bought mine in Sainsbury's for £4.49 with the discount. The plastic container holds 30 cloths (aaah, that's over 10p each to wash my moush) and the refills are cheaper of course. The box is sturdy and easy to open and because the cloths are dry already they don't do the baby wipe thing of drying out.

Now Olay seem to justify the expense by asserting that a simple cloth can eradicate several elements of your daily cleansing routine. Namely, your make up remover, soap, facewash, cleansing milk and toner. One instead of five steps which is great after a night out.

It also claims to improve your skin's condition which is always a difficult thing to test - is my skin better - well I'm getting older each day and the sun takes its toll so who knows if its the face wipes that keep me so magnificent? (Ha,ha, ha).

Each cloth is folded in the box and easy to get out without bringing the rest with you. It is textured with a rough side and a smooth side. It contains a cleanser and a moisturiser and it is soap free.

The instructions are simple:
1. Take a cloth and moisten it - warm/cold water doesn't seem to matter to the lather factor.

2.Lather - from this bald instruction I have found rubbing the cloth together and scrunching it a bit releases the froth

3.Cleanse - now for the tricky bit - use the smooth side on delicate areas and the textured side on the warty - sorry bits neading deep cleansing.

4. Rinse using the cloth - this takes a few goes to dispel all the lather.

5. Throw the cloth away.
Yes we truly are a disposable world and I'm sure this is doing nothing for the environment. It does have the biodegradable symbol on the packaging - so 500 years from now thsy might turn to mush.

You are advised not to flush them down the toilet - now come on, is there anyone that would? Don't answer that.

I bought the Normal to Oily skin facials but they also come in Normal to Dry. Tough really if you have combination skin.

The ingredients are as scary as ever:
PEG-100, SUCROSE POLYCOTTENSEEDATE, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, C10-30 CHOLESTEROL/LANOSTEROL ESTERS, WATER, BETA CYCLODEXTRIN, DECYL GLUCOSIDE, SUCROSE POLYBEHENATE, PETROLATUM, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM LAURYL SARCOSINATE, TRIBEHENIN, PEG-14M, ALCOHOL DENAT.,TOCOPHEROL, TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, MENTHOL (couldn't smell it), POLYQUATERNIUM-10, BHT, GLYOXAL. SODIUM ACETATE, SODIUM LAURATE, SODIUM SULFATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYL PARABEN, PROPYL PARABEN, DISODIUM EDTA, BENZYL ALCOHOL, PARFUM.

It is made by Proctor and Gamble who can be found in Weybridge, Surry and they have a freephone: 0800 9177 197.

I visited the Olay website on www.olay.com and Olay.co.uk. It was quite easy to use and if you register for the Olay Club you get samples and probably junk mail too (sorry bit cynical). There is a product search facility which is quite helpful and a section on diagnosing your skin condition - this isn't all that great as the windows have no scroll buttons and are difficult to read.

Overall I would recommend these facial wipes when you really cannot be arsed to clean your face at night. Otherwise they are quite an expensive and wasteful idea.

• MadeinScotland published 15/11/2002
    I like these, but only use them if I have lots of make up to remove as they are quite expensive, but Tesco is about £2 cheaper than Boots!
  • Shufflebum published 09/09/2002
    Good op. These are a bit expensive though arent they? Rach x
  • Ophelia published 01/08/2002
    I had that money off voucher too! Still too pricey for me though!