Old Station Yard, Cullompton

Review of "Old Station Yard, Cullompton"

published 04/05/2016 | LiveMusicLoverLyn
Member since : 23/03/2014
“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention” Thanks for all the reads, rates, appreciated esp E rates, every E I give is well deserved.
Pro Clean, bright and choices
Cons Limited space and kept secret fromm south bound traffic!
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Not a Train in Sight ~ Classic Mini, Paramedic Motorcycle tick!"

Old Station Yard, Cullompton

I know Cullompton in Devon quite well, I used to stay with a friend on her farm before the motorway was built and more recently I’ve stayed in the area between Cullompton and Honiton a few times a year as we had a holiday caravan there. Recently though I visited the motorway service area there for the first time as we needed to go to Taunton on our way back from Cornwall and we were in dire need of refreshment by the time we arrived there having passed a service area that was not well enough signposted and another that seemed to only do Costa and McDonalds.

We were travelling North bound although I understand because of the local need to cross the motorway this service area is available from both directional sides of the M5 and is accessed via junction 28 and is also easily accessed from the A373 and B3181.

Cullompton is a relatively small service area and is still quite new.

Parking: Parking is surprisingly limited and wraps around the site in a horseshoe shape with Lorry parking at the far end the other side of a barrier.

Dogs: We saw loads of dogs when we visited and there is a small grassy banked area created as a barrier from the motorway. So it is better than nothing if Rover needs a comfort break and rest stop. However there are no shady spots and it is not an ideal location for dogs by any stretch of the imagination.

Toilets: Well signed and accessed through Costa the toilets are well appointed and very clean.

Facilities: The site also boasts showers and WiFi and is most likely a popular stop over site for lorry drivers.

Outlets:

Costa

W H Smith

MacDonalds

Warrens Bakery

Nearby:

The small town of Cullompton is easily accessible and if you fancy something more upmarket to a motorway service area there are several pubs, restaurants and cafes to choose from. The Merry Harriers being a pub I have visited a few times and can recommend.

There is a street market on Wednesdays and the fourth Saturday of each month as well as a Farmers Market on the second Saturday of each month and I can vouch that the Farmers Market has a good array of sellers and some lovely produce.

Our Experience:

Having missed one service area and spotted that another only seemed to offer MacDonalds and Costa we decided to pull into this service area for some much needed sustenance and a toilet break. I did toy with the idea of going to a pub in Cullompton instead and to be honest I am glad that we didn’t. Just inside the door on the left of the service building is Warrens Bakery selling a delightful range of sandwiches and rolls, pasties and slices as well as cakes and tarts, plus tea and coffee.

The rolls looked so generous and so good I could not decide which to have, had it been a colder day I would have chosen a hot pasty, but the rolls looked so appetising my only problem was which to have. Should I go for the healthy Chicken with salad on Granary or Pulled Pork with barbeque sauce and salad. Choosing in the end the Pulled Pork on a Tiger Roll. Which was fresh, packed and delicious. My husband had West Country Ham with Cheese and Chutney on Tiger Roll. I tried a little of the chutney and can say that it was lovely. Unable to resist my husband also chose a Danish Pastry, so not to be beaten I’d been eyeing up the lemon and white chocolate tart so bought one. We also bought two teas, these are served in large mug sized take away disposable mugs and they use PG tips. The bill came to just over £12.00 which I think was very good value.

Whilst there I looked into MacDonalds, which is a fairly standard MacDonalds and was doing good trade, W H Smith was selling papers, chocolate bars and crisps and Costa again was a fairly typical Costa layout and fayre.

We noticed that everything was clean and that Costa also had a small outdoor area for patrons to use. Anyone buying from Warrens or W H Smith would need to return to their car to eat or drink because no picnic areas are provided.

Whats in a Name & Golden Loos:

I could not work out why Ciao! called my suggestion Old Station Yard, so I have had a look on line and discovered that the services are built on the site of an old railway station yard, hence the name and that they won a Gold Loo award in 2012.

The site is run by Extra and there is a Shell Petrol station as well as an Ecotricity Electric Vehicle Charging Point.

Conclusion:

I am glad we stopped and I’d go there again. I am therefore happy to recommend the services at Cullompton M5 Junction 28 as quite good enough for what they are and only dropping 1 star due to the lack of dog walk areas, shady parking and picnic area as understandable to an extent as it is a small site.

Thanks for reading