Olympia Dualphone RTX 3045

Olympia Dualphone RTX 3045

without Hands Free - with Caller ID - without Loudspeakers - without SMS Function

Review of "Olympia Dualphone RTX 3045"

published 18/02/2009 | EVIT
Member since : 02/06/2008
Pro practical, dual phone, easy to install and use
Cons heats up your ear, need to keep far from audio speakers
Reception & Clarity of speech
Range of reception
What is the durability of this product?
Range of features
Reliability

"A Skype Phone and normal cordless all in one"

IMG_0582 - Olympia Dualphone RTX 3045

IMG_0582 - Olympia Dualphone RTX 3045

USB Cordless DualPhone for Skype

The USB Cordless DualPhone is a cordless telephone that can be connected to a normal telephone socket and a USB port on a PC to be used both as a Skype phone and a normal cordless phone. I have found this particular phone very useful so I thought it was about time to write a review about it.

First of all, WHAT IS SKYPE? Skype is a free program that, once installed on your computer, allows you to phone people all over the world as long as they have Skype installed too and a microphone. Nowadays you can even phone landline numbers for very cheap fares and I have found very useful to have an actual cordless telephone to plug in my PC for this purpose. I have always hated using microphone and headphones because they require the proximity to the computer (at least the mic does). This cordless phone was the solution!

Description and Opinion

You have a charging base on which the telephone stands and recharges its batteries. The phone has a simple display but it is just enough for what you need to do. It has a wire for the power supply, a USB cable going to the PC and a telephone wire that goes at the telephone plug on the wall. As a matter of fact you can use this cordless both as a normal house phone as well as a skype phone. The display shows whether your friends who also use Skype, are online. If they are, you simply have to press the appropriate green button and talk to them. You can switch between the ?PC phone? and normal telephone by pressing the appropiate button. It?s much easier than it sounds. I have tested it both on XP and Vista and it works perfectly once you intall the appropriate drivers. It is has of course 100% compatibility with Skype. It has of course ring tones and when someone calls you through skype the cordless will ring and display the caller (or to be more precise, displaying his or her nickname).
This product can be purchased through skype website (as I did) and it received high reviews worldwide. I don?t remember exactly what range it has but I walk all around the house and I never had interferences, if anything I think it is too powerful, after a few minutes it heats up your ear, doesn?t sound too healthy I know. That?s the only flaw I could find though. The battery itself has held on for many years and only recently started ?dying? after 30 minutes conversations (but I have had it for years).
It costed about 50 euro if I?m not mistaken, probably nowadays it?s even cheaper but I?m not sure if it?s still available. One thing I know for sure is that they still have a support service active through their websites (check the following links).
I would definitely suggest this product if you use skype a lot or you simply just hate having to sit at the computer while talking over skype with your friends or relatives. With this phone you do feel like you are actually phoning them and not just ?chatting?. I?m hardly using my landline phone anymore.

Links

OTHER RELEVANT FEATURES

The phone book has space for 160 contacts.

You can call for up to 6.5 hours on a fully charged battery.

USB DUALphone has 16 KHz audio sampling, implying a significantly improved audio quality compared to other products in the market, which generally integrate 8 KHz audio sampling.

your PC must be switched on and not in standby mode in order to make Internet calls. NB! However you can still make ordinary telephone calls.

• Stenly7981 published 11/05/2009
    I always want this kind of gadgets at home :-D nice review
  • obscuredbykep published 08/05/2009
    Good review, don't use skype or anything like that myself though. But when I worked at John Lewis used to get loads of people asking for something like this!
  • kevin121 published 26/04/2009
    A nice phone, and even nicer floor tiles. They look identcal to my kitchen floor tiles - great minds and all that... Rachael x