Review of "Olympus OM-10"

published 25/07/2013 | dbuk2000
Member since : 25/07/2008
Not sure why people comment just to say 'not for me' or 'will give this a miss'. Hardly contributing to the review or helping out future readers looking to purchase the item.
Pro Great Quality
Cons Little dated
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Reliability
Size

"Old School Cameras are the best school"

This is one of those classic cameras, and probably more of an antique in this day and age with all the digital cameras. However it was the first camera I received and a cast off from my Dad, and the start of a passion in photography for myself.

I have done a little bit of research on the origins, as of course, due to it being a cast off and the fact I was relatively young at the time, it meant I did not know about the slightly more interesting aspects. This was released back in 1979, quite crazy when you think it was over thirty years ago and it is older than myself. Luckily this camera is one of the latter versions of the OM 10, which does not have fault shutter magnets; otherwise I imagine it would have made it quite unusable in the long term.

This is a 35mm camera single lens reflex camera. The camera does the shutter speed, which I guess is initially quite useful, however you can get a separate accessory in the former of a manual adapter. The beauty here is that it allows you to control the shutter speed and can set it from 1 second to 1/1000 second. As you get to understand the feel of the camera more, and just generally learn more about photography you end up realising how important this is.

You can wind the film pretty easily using the small lever on the top right side of the camera, and then the film rewinding is on the left side.

I am probably a rare breed that prefers an old school camera like this with film, rather than a digital camera. Don't get me wrong a digital camera has its benefits, and technology has come a long way, but with the right camera, old or new, there can still be a huge enjoyment and the quality of pictures can be consistently high.

In terms of size, it should be able to comfortably fit in your hands, even if you don't have particularly large hands like myself. At the time it was known for its small size and this was one of the main reasons it was popular. I guess the main thing is being able to use it comfortably and it is not a particular heavy camera, but of course not as light as modern day cameras. I weighed this on a scale, and it comes in at around 420grams and according to online the dimensions are 186 x 83 x 50mm.

In terms of accessing the camera you need two batteries, these are the old coin type batteries, forgive me for not remember the exact name. The batteries power the shutter function. Plus the film is pretty easy to insert, although you do have to get the knack of it, but it comes after time.

If 35mm film is still your thing, and you find this or a similar camera lying about then you can still by the film, and still get them developed, although the major supermarkets are reducing this service, but if you find specific chemists, then it may still be possible.

In terms of price, well I am not sure there is any of you out there that would want this, and it is more of an antique. From what I have read online you can get a used working version for around $50, so let's say £30, but yes although this is beautiful in its own right, I really hope no one goes and buys it based of my review.

Overall of course this camera is dated, and if I was being very picky I could have picked some flaws, but I think being an amateur photographer this was a brilliant starter camera and the results really are something else. I still have this, and although I don't avidly use it anymore, this review itself has made me want to dust of its cobwebs, and show the world what beautiful pictures it can produce.

• mumsymary published 25/07/2013
    I remember in its day it was certainly well respected, Too expensive for our student pocket in those days(78)
  • BazzaBoyT published 25/07/2013
    Great review - very detailed - I like it!