One Good Turn - Atkinson Kate

One Good Turn - Atkinson Kate

Fiction - Modern Fiction - ISBN: 0552772445

Review of "One Good Turn - Atkinson Kate"

published 25/10/2016 | Calla76
Member since : 14/07/2010
Thank you for all the reads and rates!
Good
Pro Well written
Cons Not for me
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"The lack of action turned me off"

This review first appeared on my Wordpress book blog ahouseofbooks

About the book

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
Published in 2007 by Black Swan
Pages: 544

The blurb

It is summer, it is the Edinburgh Festival. People queuing for a lunchtime show witness a road-rage incident – a near-homicidal attack which changes the lives of everyone involved. Jackson Brodie, ex-army, ex-police, ex-private detective, is also an innocent bystander – until he becomes a murder suspect.

As the body count mounts, each member of the teeming Dickensian cast’s story contains a kernel of the next, like a set of nesting Russian dolls. They are all looking for love or money or redemption or escape: but what each actually discovers is their own true self.

My thoughts ...

I don’t generally read crime / detective novels, although I have read one of Atkinson’s novels in the past that features Jackson Brodie which I think I quite liked if I remember rightly. However I read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson last year and not enjoyed it at all, so I had no idea what I would make of this.

I found myself sucked into this story right away – simply because it is so well written, with well rounded characters. It is the Edinburgh Festival, and several bystanders are witnesses to a road rage accident. We then find out a bit more about some of these witnesses,with each of the chapters devoted to a different character.

About 100 pages into this book, I realised that very little had actually happened. We are introduced to different members of the cast and find out their connection to the main incident – but then the book drifts off on tangents so that we build a rounder picture of the character in question. Some of these stories are really funny, and almost farcical at times, and I really liked the style of writing and enjoyed reading about the various characters. I especially liked Martin, a successful but incredibly unassuming and self-deprecating novelist – and I actually felt I could read a whole book just about him!

The plot finally started to take off a bit at this stage, but oddly I found that I couldn’t really get into it. It had taken so long to get going – and by this point I actually found myself tiring of the constant tangents and asides, while the story just plodded along with seemingly random coincidences. It was strange as I started off really enjoying the book, but the further I went the less I enjoyed it. And by the end of the novel I didn’t really care what was going to happen

This is such a well written and clever book but for some reason it really didn’t work for me. The plot was too weak and great characterisation can only take you so far! I’m concluding from this that sadly Kate Atkinson really isn’t for me.

In summary: Well written but couldn't maintain my interest

• 1st2thebar published 15/11/2016
    Atkinson isn't for those who've busy home lives. Her unvanquished posturing / conundrums do grate if you're not fully committed. Good write up.
  • SnowSurprise published 06/11/2016
    I found one of her other novels rather like this with not enough action...
  • euphie published 04/11/2016