One Love (At Studio One) [Heartbeat] - Bob Marley

One Love (At Studio One) [Heartbeat] - Bob Marley

1 CD(s) - Roots Reggae - Label: Epic, Columbia - Distributor: Sony Music/Arvato Services - Released: 08/03/2004 - 5099751388326

Review of "One Love (At Studio One) [Heartbeat] - Bob Marley"

published 24/02/2003 | gill1960
Member since : 17/08/2002
Pro Good music
Cons none
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics
How does it compare to the artist's other releases

"Bob at his best"

If I had to name my favourite singer it would be Bob Marley or if I had to name my favourite group it would be Bob Marley and the Wailers.

I love listening to the way he tells you about things in his songs, as most of us reggae fans know Bob sang many a song to inform the people of Jamaica what was going on. (By this I mean the people who couldn’t read the newspapers) When there was so much unrest in the country.

I own most of Bob Marleys Albums. Including …Rebel Music…Rastaman Vibration…Burnin….Natural mystic…survival.. To name a few.

I knew this double album came out 29th October 2001, but money being strapped to waste on records, I had to resign myself to not having it and to be happy with what I had already got. It was about £15.99 to buy new. I think the price may have come down now by a few pounds in most major record stores.

But lo and behold last week I went to a jumble sale in a neighbours garage (should I say garage sale) and what was there sitting looking at me The One love double CD which has got 79 minutes of superb music, for £4 who could turn there nose up at that, ME I haggled and got it for £3.50…(why on earth did they want to sell such brilliant music is beyond me)

Now I will name all of these superb songs as they are on the discs. I will also sing the first few words of the song in question so you can start and sing along with me.

WARNING… I know you can’t really hear me singing…. BUT imagine it, you have just settled down to reading my review (I HOPE) and think to yourself yes, we’ll have a bit of a sing song whilst smoking our joint and chilling. By smoking our joint I mean the joint of beef I forgot about in the oven, that is now slightly burnt because this op took me such a long time to write. That’s another subject though.

As I was saying, imagine me singing I’m tone deaf slightly mad but still love groaning along with Bob. So relax and enjoy these brilliant songs.

DISC ONE…..
1. Stir It Up (Stir it up, little darlin, stir it up)
2. Get Up Stand Up (Get Up, Stand Up, stand up for your right)
3. I Shot The Sheriff (I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot no deputy)
4. Lively Up Yourself (You're gonna lively up yourself)
5. No Woman No Cry (No woman, no cry)
6. Roots, Rock, Reggae (Play I some music, this a reggae music)
7. Exodus (Exodus, movement of Jah people) Meaning Gods people.
8. Jamming (Ooh, yeah! All right! We're jamming
9. Waiting In Vain (I don’t wanna wait in vain for your love)
10. Three Little Birds (Don't worry about a thing )11. Turn Your Lights Down Low ( Turn your lights down low)
12. One Love/People Get Ready (One love one heart)13. Is This Love ( I wanna love you and treat you right)
14. Sun Is Shining (Sun is shining, the weather is sweet )
15. So Much Trouble In The World (So much trouble in the world now)
16. Could You Be Loved (Could you be loved and be loved )
17. Redemption Song ( Old pirates yes they rob I )18. Buffalo Soldier (Buffalo Soldier, Dreadlock Rasta)
19. Iron Lion Zion ( I’m on the rock then I check the stock)
20. I Know A Place ( When the whole world lets you down)

DISC TWO.
1.Concrete Jungle (No sun will shine in my day today)2. Burnin' And Lootin (This morning I woke up in a curfew)
3. Rebel Music (Do do do do do do do, I rebel music)4. Jah Live (Jah live, children, ye-ah)
5. Positive Vibration (Live if you want to live)
6. Smile Jamaica (Feeling out, feeling down)
7. Natural Mystic (There’s a natural mystic flowing through the air)
8. Punky Reggae Party (Punky punky punk said you’re gonna punky)
9. Satisfy My Soul (Satisfy our souls)
10. Africa Unite (Africa unite, cause we’re moving right out of Africa)
11. Coming In From The Cold (In this life, in this life, in this life)
12. Rastaman Live Up (Rasta man live up)
13 Who Colt The Game (ye ye ye)

When you buy this CD you will notice that the picture on the front of the CD case shows Bob in his younger years when his Rasta plaits where still in their growth period, which was a little bit disappointing for me as I just loved admiring his plaits when they had grown to a decent length.

What more can I say buy this CD if you have the chance and listen carefully to the words of each song and a story evolves of what he was trying to tell us (In most songs) and enjoy.

• Esless published 03/03/2003
    I've just come back off my hols, and you would have been in your element by the sounds of it. The bar that we drank in had an in-house band (Manila Machine) and they did some of Bob's songs, and although I'm not a huge fan of his, I do know quite a bit of his music, and they did do him justice. Niki :)
  • cheung published 02/03/2003
    I'm not normally into Bob Marley, but I'm convinced by your op
  • RayMan_UK published 27/02/2003
    One of my favourites too. Thanks for sharing :-) Ray.