One More Light - Linkin Park

One More Light - Linkin Park

Review of "One More Light - Linkin Park"

published 05/12/2017 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Pro A stunning album
Cons Not what some may have expected
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Who cares if one more light goes out?"

Linkin Park is a band who have changed greatly over the years. When they released their debut album in 2000, they were very clearly a rock band and yet they were also highly musical for that genre of music meaning that they drew me in. They were also one of the few rock bands that didn’t swear at all in their music. Their style continued like this until 2006 when they started releasing more stereotypical rock with hip-hop and punk feels, but with additional political overtones that they had avoided previously. Since then, they have stayed mainly within the rock and punk genre’s however have experimented with some acapella works. All this changed with One More Light.

One More Light is a complete mix of genre’s and whilst it does have a significant amount of rock within it, I would not be able to call it a rock album anymore. Linkin Park’s lyrics have always been fairly maudlin, however when mixed with a far more introspective music style, a complete lack of angry screaming and some stunningly gentle guitar and lyrical works, this becomes something different. When tied together with the suicide of the lead singer, Chester Bennington, in July 2017 however, you can certainly listen to this album as a musical suicide note.

The album starts with Nobody Can Save Me and the opening lines of I’m dancing with my demons, I’m hanging off the edge. Storm clouds gather beneath me, winds break above my head combined with the gentle guitar and pop-like sets up the album for what is to come. There’s none of the stereotypical heavy bass and drums that fans would be used to; instead it’s gentle, thoughtful and introspective. The message is a mix of hopeful and hopeless; Only I can save me now. Good Goodbye starts with the same light guitar lines and gentle vocals but then runs into a rap style, but there isn’t the anger behind it that you may have expected and the chorus goes back into melodic vocals. This is perhaps the closest to the initial Linkin Park song however.

Talking to Myself is a melodic rap, punk style song with what I expected to be a heavy rock chorus, but instead only the bridge goes into a heavier rap style. It could easily be considered to be a broken heart ballad with a somewhat heavier stance. The lyrics are once more introspective; All the walls that you keep building, All this time that I spent chasing, All the ways that I keep losing you and you can feel the real meaning within them. Battle Symphony is perhaps one of my favourite tracks on the album; When they turn down the lights, I hear my battle symphony; all the world in front of me. If my armour breaks I'll fuse it back together. Battle symphony, Please just don't give up on me.. The lyrics are heartfelt and yet full of a sense of hope; you can imagine someone putting pieces of chainmail back together.

Invisible reminds me a lot of the initial Linkin Park sound, although brought down a notch so it isn’t rap as much as melodic speech to music. It’s a melodic original Linkin Park, holding all of the power and the pain but taking the notch down a couple of settings. It still holds the lyrical intensity however as it declaims But this is not black and white, there are no clear solutions, I'm just trying to get it right. Like many songs on this album this is one you can actually sing along to and join as part of the music. Heavy loses the optimism but keeps the style of music, almost being softly spoken rap but musical with truly cutting lyrics as it says I don't like my mind right now, stacking up problems that are so unnecessary and I know I’m not the centre of the universe but you keep spinning round me just the same. It’s something we can all empathise with; why is everything so heavy? So much more than I can carry.

Sorry For Now starts with an upbeat pop feel with gentle vocals that could almost fool you into thinking that this is a positive, uplifting song. But as the main vocalist lilts out And I'll be sorry for now, that I couldn't be around, sometimes things refuse to go the way we planned the tone is very much one of forgiveness needed and redemption eventually granted. There is a layer of rap built into this, but it’s brief and quickly taken over by the pop feel. Halfway Right comes back in with the gentle rap although the chorus belts I scream at myself when there’s nobody else to fight, I don’t lose, I don’t win, if I’m wrong, then I’m halfway right at you. It’s a song you almost to sink into with its slightly discordant backing tones.

One More Light is one of my favourite pieces on this album as it showcases both the highs and the lows. It asks the question If they say, who cares if one more light goes out in a sky of a million stars? It flickers, flickers. And the answer is, I do. It’s a song that cries out into the blackness, saying no matter how dark it gets there is always someone, somewhere who cares and maybe I am that person. This is a song that makes no apologies for what it is; Should've stayed, were there signs, I ignored? Can I help you, not to hurt, anymore?. It makes no pretences. It is all about those moments when it feels like no one cares if your time runs out because a moment is all we are. But it offers something more than just the desolation. Because just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Sharp Edges is perhaps vying for my favourite slot on the album and even in my music as a whole, once more because it is unapologetic in what it is. We lost a light in the sky that could have burned so much brighter when we lost Chester Bennington, and this is an album full to the brim of warning signs that no-one picked up. The tone of this is upbeat and actively funky, which is at odds with the message within it because Sharp edges have consequences, I guess I had to find out for myself yet Sharp edges have consequences and every scar is a story I can tell. You never listen when your mama tells you and the consequences reverberate, and sometimes what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger… other times it just kills us.
Do I Recommend?

Yes. This isn’t the age old Linkin Park sound but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth listening to. Linkin Park have always been excellent at melodic and musical rock with a hard hitting meaning. All that is different here is that the rock is empathised a little bit less. That certainly doesn’t make it less worth listening to. Nor does it make them a sell out. It means they were willing to make the music that was in their hearts.

Chester Bennington, I hope you find the peace that life denied you in death.

And if you ever wonder who cares.

I do.

• mikemelmak published 09/12/2017
    Superb review. I liked the music they did for The Raid.
  • Westy4 published 06/12/2017