Onkyo DV-SP406

Onkyo DV-SP406

With DivX Playback - With HDMI Connection - DVD-RW Player - DVD-R Player - DVD+R Player - with DVD+RW Playback

Review of "Onkyo DV-SP406"

published 31/12/2008 | artana
Member since : 31/12/2008
Good
Pro Great Picture, incredible soundstage
Cons video artifacts after 3 DVDs CD audio lacking body
Picture Playback
Sound Level
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"Onkyo DV SP 406"

I used a TX DX 777 Onkyo WRAT receiver and a set of Vandersteen 1 2 way floor standing speakers and a Samsung LCD T4871F TV. The audio connection was a Toslink and the video HDMI both low priced parts. My system is set up for surround sound and my speaker levels and placement have been set by using a sound pressure meter and distance measurements used in the DX777.

This player is Brutal in it's accurate reproduction of video and cd music. If you put in a so so DVD this player will show you just how so so it is, I do not care what resolution you set it at. The better the quality of the DVD the better the picture will be. I found it to be the same with audio. My bargin CDs sounded just that way, bargin basement, but put in a DDD CD and you could hear the difference. The sound stage is fantastic. The speaker no longer exshist, the music is all around you.

I played the CD music in "direct and stereo" modes the direct gave a very clear and clean sound stage, but my speakers are only good to 30 hz and my sub does not get used in direct. Stereo allows my sub to kick in and the music sounded fuller which is expected. The soundstange again is just amazing.

My complaint is that it started giving me artifacts in my video after the 3rd DVD that I played. The audio was unaffected. Also I found the overall qualities in movies to be great at all resoltions, but in CDs the music did not really pull me in. I felt this player was crying to be played on a tubed amp, that might warm up the sound some.

I have returned it for a replacement since I got it at about 30% off retail and the DVD quality was worth it to me. I would not buy this player at retail, I believe there are better values out there.

• eljimbob published 13/01/2009
    Welcome to Ciao :¬) James
  • ilusvm published 01/01/2009
    Welcome to ciao!!! nice first review, i look forward to reading more. Em x