Open College of the Arts

Open College of the Arts

Review of "Open College of the Arts"

published 16/09/2010 | Daniel.Forsythe
Member since : 16/09/2010
Pro study from home
Cons unsupportive learning environment

"Nothing But Promises"

I took two courses with OCA as I wanted to learn to paint. I started with Starting To Paint. My experience was dissappointing. The so called 'course' consisted of a series of tasks. There was hardly any actual teaching as I would have expected. The tutors comments I often found to be unrelated to the course content, but rather based on his personal taste which I had understood to be against OCA policy. My painting did not improve by working through the exercises. But at this stage I still thought it was all me. I moved on to the next course at level two. Receiving the course folder was a shock. Again, there was no teaching, only task after task. The college did not even provide me with a reading list. I could not talk to anyone at the college about this. Noone seemed to feel responsible when a student was not happy with the servcie provided. I tried to talk to the tutor about this, but got only evasive answers. I tried discussing this on the student website of the college. I thought this must have happened to other students, too. And, as it turned out, it had. However, any website discussisons I took part in I found to be interfered with by a number of tutors who would basically tell students who were raising an issue that really they did not know what they were talking about. Students were quickly put in their place so to speak. This did not help the students to offer each other support, instead it made me feel intimidated, and I would guess others also.

This review was read 2047 times and was rated at