Opodo.co.uk

Online Ticket Booking

Review of "Opodo.co.uk"

published 23/02/2008 | Racky
Member since : 23/02/2008
Pro Cheap but not worth the hassle
Cons Selling flights that they're not licenced to sell. Terrible customer service. No 24 hour helpline.
Layout & Design
Navigation
How fast is this website?
Content Update
Search Facility

"Opodo - avoid like the plague"

READ THIS - Very important . I would never use opodo again after the trouble I had after booking a flight with them.
I booked a flight from London to Kathmandu three months before travelling. I used an internet comparison site and the cheapest company for the flight I booked wasn't actually Opodo but I booked through Opodo because I (wrongly) trusted them. The day before I was due to travel they rang me up and said my flight had been cancelled (!!!). They said the only thing I could do was take a refund and try and find another flight. Obviously there were no other flights or not for less than £2000 anyway and they gave me no help finding another flight. I spent hours trying to find a flight and in the end had to buy one to Calcutta 3 days later and would have had to make my way overland to Kathmandu. Not ideal since I was supposed to meet my family at the airport in Kathmandu and had no way to contact them. Also I was supposed to be moving house and this was completely ruined by me trying to find another flight.
Anyway we rang the airport to query the cancelled flight and they informed us it hadn't been cancelled (!!!!!!). Opodo was now shut so we couldn't ring them to question this but decided to go to the airport tomorrow as planned to try and get the flight. On the way to the airport we rang opoodo and eventually spoke to someone who admitted the flight hadn't been cancelled (i.e. they had lied to me) and that Opodo wasn't licenced to sell tickets for this flight (despite the fact they had and had issued a confirmed ticket for it). They had known this for a few days and other customers had managed to get a replacement ticket from the airline. If I'd have known this I could have done the same.
At the airport we had to wait 4 hours until everyone had boarded the flight and then amazingly the airline let us get the flight despite the fact our ticket wasn't valid and they had never heard of Opodo (and probably had received no money from Opodo). They were great - they were under no obligation to let us on and understandably were very angry with Opodo for what they did.
Anyway after 4 months of trying to get help from Opodo they have given us a refund for the other flight we'd bought but we received no apology, they didn't even acknowledge they had made a mistake or lied and we got no compensation for the many phone calls, the stress of almost ruining our holiday and the time wasted. I am so angry with them and will not let them get away with this.
If you use Opodo something like this could happen. They have many flights on the website which don't even exist. For example London to Kathmandu with Aeroflot who don't even fly to Kathmandu. And if you have a problem it's very difficult to get help.

• jaygami1986 published 24/02/2008
    never heard of them. J
  • vickigroth published 23/02/2008
    I thought they were a trustworthy firm! I will not be using them to book my next break. Thanks.