Opticalexpress.co.uk

Review of "Opticalexpress.co.uk"

published 13/10/2008 | traffordexperience
Member since : 12/10/2008
Satisfactory
Pro plenty of choice and individual attention to begin with
Cons Complaints resolution is clumsy and downright odd

"An eye opening experience"

Went to Optical Express in the Trafford Centre, Manchester. Very bright, clean shop with lots of frames to choose from. Initial meet-and-greet was good with staff helpful but not pushy when told I only wanted to have a casual look today;planned to return the following week or so when had more time. Went there because was working in Manchester, my local opticians carried little choice and the nearest Optical Express (Middlesbrough) had provided an appallingly badly made pair of glasses costing some £479. Interestingly that branch refunded the full cost to my credit card in a matter of 7-10 days.

Returned to the Trafford Centre branch one evening after work, accompanied by a friend, and must have been in there for 3 hours. This included having an eye examination and shock-horror, my eyesight had deteriorated without my noticing a thing...must have been the computer work I'd been doing over the past few months? The store manager attended to me personally and along with my friend we managed to select two frames that would take my now horrendous varivocal lense prescription. The buying experience had been rather good up to this point and they said they would fast-track the order so that I could collect my glasses before my work in Manchester finished on 29th August. As it happened I travelled over to Manchester on 16th September because that was when both pairs were actually ready. Surprisingly fitting the glasses isn't something that happens as a matter of course. I tried both pairs on after examining them and had the store manager do something with one pair because they felt slack, paid up and that was that.

Alas not so for it transpired that because I could not adjust to the new prescription I queried it with Optical Express, and in so doing learned that they had two prescriptions for me. Concerned about my eyesight I felt compelled to go to an independent optometrist for another test and what do you know, my eyes had not changed significantly from the test he had conducted some 4 years ago.

No worries says the store manager, come back and we'll do another test and get everything sorted out, we value your custom and so on. Can't come over far too far to travel, significant inconvenience but above all now have no confidence in the service. O.K. send the glasses back we'll refund the postage, pay for the independent eye test, refund the full cost of both pairs and you'll receive some compensation for your by now considerable inconveneince and disappointment. Suffice it to say that the dialogue between myself, the store manager and the area manager during the period 24th September to 9th October bode well for my receiving a full refund, reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses and some goodwill compensation.

As of now the 12th October it appears that the roles of store manager and area manager are somewhat fluid both in designation and authority, with neither accepting responsibility. The very good assistant whom I'd been led to believe is the store manager isn't and has had matters taken out of his hands. For me he is the only one who has consistently demonstrated a true regard for his customer.

Whilst the very unusual (as I've now been told) step of refunding the full cost of the glasses will be honoured by cheque in 28days, Optical Express is reneging on all of the other costs and compensation. How's that for service and what about adherence to the protocols of the Consumer's Regulations 2002 and the provisions in the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended?

Nice glasses shame about the quality of testing, dispensing and complaints resolution.

• KateHurst published 05/06/2009
    Very detailed review - I have to say, it really doesn't sound like they're very professionally run at the higher levels (management etc), yet the people you dealt with face to face were so helpful. I wonder if this is a case of the management having the "shopfloor" staff trained meticulously to give a good impression but not bothering to train themselves? A good idea of yours to seek an independent opinion, too.
  • blackmagicstar4 published 13/10/2008
    Welocme to Ciao, great first review x
  • majeedkazi published 13/10/2008