Review of "Options Hot Chocolate"

published 30/07/2002 | vialdana
Member since : 18/06/2002
Trying to read & rate more, but the fibro still gets in the way. I write when I can and read/rate when I am able. This means sometimes I throw lots on all at once, and then go quiet for days or weeks at a time.
Pro chocolatey, tasty, low fat, low calorie, reasonably priced.
Cons none.

"A Rainbow of flavoured chocolate drinks"

Options are just hot chocolate drinks right? Well, no, these are not just any hot chocolate drinks, these are flavoured hot chocolates. If you’ve ever eaten a Neapolitan chocolate, (the ones that came in oblongs of different flavours, each individually wrapped in a box that smelt oh so good, were wrapped up in pretty paper and given away at Christmas) then imagine these in drink form, and without all the calories!!! Amazing but true!

Options hot chocolates are sold in pairs of sachets at approx. 44p for the two, each contains 22g of powder to which you add hot water, and they come in a number of varieties:

Chocolate – regular chocolate, no frills, no extra flavours added, tasty, creamy, and delicious.

Orange – not as orangy as I’d like it to be, but nevertheless, very pleasant to drink, a not really sweet enough for me. I tried it once but haven’t bought more since.

Tempting Toffee – WOW!!!! Definitely my favourite, this one is creamy and tasty and toffee tasting. No chocolate flavour here, but who needs it when you have toffee eh! (54 cals, 1.2g fat) This one lives in my cupboard and is perfect for when you come in after being drowned in thunderstorms in July!! (Or any other time of year come to that.)

Irish Coffee – I don’t like coffee, so I haven’t tried this one, and therefore can’t comment on it.

*White chocolate – I Bought this one on special offer when it first came out and sent a couple to a friend of mine who loves white chocolate, she’s now hooked! They do taste of white chocolate, but its quite a subtle taste, very hard to explain what’s not right with it, but somehow there is a big difference between the taste of this and the taste of real white chocolate. (45 cals, 1.4g fat)

Mint Chocolate – fairly standard minty chocolate flavoured drink. Enjoyable, but somehow not as creamy tasting as some. I’ve even been known to cheat and add a little extra milk to this one to help it along a little.

*Turkish delight – Now this is different tasting from pretty much anything else I’ve ever drunk. Its an odd sort of flowery hint of rose petal that you breath in as you drink the basic chocolate drink. Its not unpleasant, just a little strange.

* these ones may have been limited time only, to be honest I’ve not checked recently.

I’ve put the calories & fat content where I can on these (accordingly you can see which ones are in my cupboard at the moment), as they are each slightly different, but all are fairly low, and definitely worth while adding to your shopping trolley for that chocolatey experience without breaking the diet, or the bank for that matter.

• Sigisbert published 24/02/2003
    I'm really disappointed as we don't have such drinks in france. It's sounds deklicious.... As a chocoholic myself i just wrote an opinion on chocolate. Pass and read it if you get the time bye Marie
  • nictastic published 03/02/2003
    these really are very nice, i didnt know they were low in fat mind you! that just makes them even better! yum! nic :)
  • dancingfishes published 09/01/2003
    I love these. I think the normal chocolate one is the best. By far the best low-fat instant chocolate drinks around. Not too keen on the Turkish Delight one though.