Review of "Optrex Infected Eyes"

published 10/11/2010 | anwar
Member since : 30/04/2003
All reads gratefully received! If I miss you give me a shout! Thanks for the premium fund ciao!
Pro works !
Cons none
Price level
Why did you buy it?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"The one eyes monster speaks!"

On Saturday morning I woke up unable to open my left eye. Rushing to the bathroom with only one eye open I squinted into the mirror to see that my eye lashes were glued together with a horrible yellow crust. I bathed my eye open and returned to bed feeling grateful that at least it was Saturday and I could hide away indoors! My eye felt like it was full of grit and sore and the surrounding area was swollen. My eye was completely bloodshot adding to my new look! My husband took one look at me and agreed to go to the chemist to see what help was available! He returned with a small bottle of Optrex infected eye drops.

Optrex infected eye drops are an antibiotic for eyes. They contain chloramphenicol for treating bacterial infections that will also help prevent any infection from spreading. The drops come in a small plastic bottle with a blue screw top lid. There is an instruction leaflet inside the box. I was keen to use the drops as the irritation and soreness were very unpleasant! The instructions advise you use just one drop every 2 hours for the first 48 hours and them one drop every 4 hours. The drops should only be used for 5 days. If your eye infection is not improving by that time them you should go and see a doctor. The drops should be kept cool preferably in a fridge.

I hate having to put drops into my eyes and would have preferred an ointment. Optrex do make an infected eye ointment; usually for use at night time. However I was stuck with drops! I was pleased that I only needed one drop and it was easier than I had expected to get it into my poorly red eye! I tipped my head back and using a mirror squeezed the bottle slightly until a drop was visible at the end of the nozzle. I let the drop fall into the corner of my eye and the tilted my head so the liquid could bath my eye. The drops are easy to control and a slight squeeze was all that was need for one drop to appear. I was expecting the drop to sting but it actually felt quite soothing. I was surprised at how quickly my eye felt better after applying a drop and the redness was a bit less than it had been. However after about an hour the irritation had returned and I was keenly watching the clock for my next dose!

I have been using the drops for 5 days now and I am happy to report that my eye is much improved. Luckily the infection hasn’t spread to anyone else in the family or to my other eye! On reading the supplied information leaflet I have learned that any inflammation of the conjunctiva is commonly known as conjunctivitis. The symptoms are eyes that feel gritty and are bloodshot. There is usually a sticky yellow discharge and swelling around the eye area. Conjunctivitis is very contagious and anyone suffering should ensure they use their own towel and face cloth. Conjunctivitis is often the result of a low immune system such as when you have been suffering from a cold or flu. I have recently had a heavy cold so I am guessing my eye infection was due to this!

I would recommend Optrex infected eye drops to anyone suffering from the sort of eye infection I have described. They are easy to use and offer instant relief; although a complete cure will take a few days! My eye is still red and sore and the surrounding area still shows some swelling. However it is getting better and I hope will be back to normal by the weekend! My husband paid about £5 for drops from Boots and I think that was money well spent! I should add that like other antibiotics you should continue using the drops for 5 days and then throw away the bottle.

This review was read 1967 times and was rated at

• silverstreak published 30/01/2011
    I found this very effective, too.
  • Gooseydyoo published 10/01/2011
    A useful thing to have in the medicine cabinet, providing it ha a long shelf life.
  • greenierexyboy published 05/12/2010
    Eye infections are icky indeed.