Orange

Member since : 09/12/2000
Pro Talk plan changes
Cons

"Cornish Orange"

Because of where I live, my choice of mobile network had to be a little better thought through than it would have been if I lived in a big city. I obviously don't own lots of phones so that I can compare the reception qualities of each different network, but through talking to friends and a little internet research, it appears to me that I made the right choice. I have so far not been dissappointed. I've only come across a few places so far where I've had any major problems. Lands End was one of them, but there's no suprise there really. Also, if you're going 'out in the sticks' , there can also be poor reception areas, but thats to be expected with so many large expanses of greenary, I can't blame Orange for not covering all of it.

When there is good reception, the line quality is excellent. I was very suprised when using my new phone because it sounded so clear.
Since I got the phone, everyone seems to be doing better and better talk plan deals. I started on their Everyday 50 plan (£15 a month), which gave me 50 off-peak minutes free every month. Thats a lot of minutes, and surely saves money on using the home phone in the evenings. After a series of expensive bills due to way too much use of text messages at 10p each, I changed to the Talk 60 plan which gave me messages at 6.5p each, and obviously less talk time (although the 60 minutes does include peak calls). I am however paying £17.50 each month for the privilege and there are a lot of cheaper deals around now. This is one of the great little things that Orange allow you to do (although the change can only actually happen once a month).

I've always found the Orange operators easy to talk to and they've been very helpful. I've moved house a few times since getting the phone, so I've had to contact them quite a few times to discuss addresses etc. They do all seem to have funny accents though.

They offer many many extras that can be paid for to further the phones capabilities, such as a thing for students that I recently received through the post, which involves getting some free texts and stuff like that (I get a newsletter every month from them - and they're not actually that bad. Very readable). Because I bought the phone with the Everyday 50 plan, I missed out on a £60 accessories package that I would have received if I'd signed straight up on the Talk 60 or any other plan
(other than pay as you go). So my advise to anybody who wants the Everyday 50 plan, would be to initially sign up with the Talk 60, pay an extra £2.50 for the first month, and then change to the Everyday 50 for the second month. Then you'll get lots of freebies, but also lots of calls. I may be wrong but I think that Orange are still offering free connection (normally £35ish).

• Mickm9 published 31/03/2001
    Good op mate, by the way the reason there is so many "funny accents" is because we have call centres in Darlington, Peterlee, Tyneside, Bristol, Liverpool and Plymouth and depending on your type of call you can get routed into any of them so one minute you ring up you could be talking to a Geordie and the next a Bristolian .... pot luck :-)

Product Information : Orange