Orchard Toys Shopping List Fun Learning Game

Orchard Toys Shopping List Fun Learning Game

Review of "Orchard Toys Shopping List Fun Learning Game"

published 07/02/2011 | bbicuk01
Member since : 05/02/2007
I am an IT teacher at a Sixth Form College. I enjoy all sports and love reading and surfing the net. I will try and return ratings as soon as I can, if I forget comment on my guestbook and I'll get back to you
Pro Improves children's pre-reading skills and is great fun to play
Cons None

"The only shopping list I want!!! A great fun game"

The Shopping list game from Orchard Toys is yet another excellent game with educational value that the company has made. The game was bought as a present for my four year old daughter, she is quite a bright thing and this game is excellent as it really stretches her. We have lots of the Orchard Toys at home and they are all excellent fun with some educational value.

Box and Packaging

The box is really bright with a nice cartoon drawing of a family shopping and some of the goods that appear in the game in a shopping trolley. The box is a solid cardboard one and on the back there is a nice list of the contents of the game and a photo of the game contents. This allows you to check and see if the game is one you want to buy or is at a level for your child. One of the things I like is the educational guide that tells you what a child can learn from this game – this again is excellent as it allows you to see the value of the game before you buy it.

The game itself

In the contents of the game there are four coloured shopping trolley cards, four shopping list cards and thirty-two cards with the shopping items on them. The shopping lists have eight items on them that are displayed in text and images; this is really good and makes it easy for children to identify with. In the game each player gets a shopping trolley and a shopping list. All the cards are turned over and each player in turn takes a card, if it is in their shopping list then they put in the trolley, if not it is replaced face down and the next person takes a card. The winner of the game is the one who fills their shopping list first. The maximum number of players is four but quite often just me and my daughter play. When there are just the two of us playing rather than only play with the cards on our shopping list we play with all the cards, it makes it a bit more interesting!!

Educational Value

On the box it says:
• The game encourages observation and memory skills
• It develops personal and social skills
• It links with early learning goals and national curriculum stage 1

We always get my daughter to read her shopping list before we play, this she does with a mixture of reading the text and looking at the pictures, this all helps her pre-reading skills. My daughter doesn't like doing things that she thinks are "work" so to get her reading and using her memory when she thinks it’s fun is great.

Overall

The game is really good fun and it’s another way of children using their memory and having fun at the same time. We normally end up playing this every day or two and it’s always my daughter’s choice. When you play this and then the Disney Princess Memory game it can really start to make your brain ache. Playing this game does really help my daughter work on her concentration; she has to watch were the cards were when the other players picked them up.

• danielclark691 published 26/03/2015
    well removed
  • wazza115 published 10/01/2015
    vh
  • Alyson29 published 13/07/2011
    This sounds of real benefit to children x

Product Information : Orchard Toys Shopping List Fun Learning Game

Race to fill your trolley! Be the first to collect all of the items on your shopping list and fill your trolley, in this colourful and updated version of our best-selling memory game. Age: 3-7 Players: 2-4 Contents: 4 trolleys, 4 shopping lists, 32 item cards Object: To be the first player to fill a trolley with the items on their shopping list. To play: Each player takes a trolley and chooses a shopping list. The shopping item cards are spread out, face downwards, on the table. The youngest player begins by turning over a card. If the item on the card is shown on the players shopping list, the player puts the card in their trolley. If the card is not on the players shopping list, it must be returned to the table, face downwards. Play passes to the person on the players left. Play continues until one player has collected all the items on their shopping list and filled their trolley. The winner: The winner is the first player to fill their trolley with all the items on their shopping list. Orchard Toys Shopping List Game

Long Name: Orchard's Shopping List Fun Learning Game