Orly Color Blast

Orly Color Blast

Review of "Orly Color Blast"

published 28/09/2017 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Thanks for all the reads and rates, they are all appreciated x
Pro Strong pigment that doesn't need a lot of coats, very long lasting wear, easy to remove
Cons More expensive than some and less widely stocked
Chips Easily?
Features

"Neon Grape"

Orly Color Blast neon grape

Orly Color Blast neon grape

I am an absolute sucker for buying more nail polish despite having a large number in my possession. But I have a few favourite brands that I am drawn back to because I know they will be reliable and Orly nail polish is one of those. I have just removed a polish from my toes that I first applied two weeks ago, and it was still in good condition. Considering how I don't actually like the process of painting my nails very much, any product that lets me do that a lot less often is a cause for celebration, or in this case, a review. I am reviewing a polish in the Color Blast range which is made up of especially brightly pigmented colours, and my current colour of choice is neon grape, a glossy pinky violet. (See my pic below, it looks more purple in the Ciao pic than it does in real life.)

I bought mine through Amazon at £6.00 for 11ml but the usual price is around £9.50 in places like Boots.

IS IT WORTH £9.50?

I know the price does not make this anything like one of the most expensive polishes, but it is a step above what you could pay for a decent polish from a brand like Rimmel. Personally though, I think Orly Color Blast is great value. There are not many polishes I need to remove from my toe nails only because the colour has been on so long I am bored of it. I would no doubt have had to apply some cheaper polish much more often and the bottles are often smaller too so the generous 11ml Color Blast lasts ages in comparison. Most importantly I have never had to pay full price for a bottle as Boots often sell it on offer for around £7 and because the range changes quite often to keep up with trends, you can often get a good deal on discontinued colours on Amazon.

IS IT EASY TO APPLY?

I am used to applying two and occasionally 3 coats of an Orly polish in the standard range so I expected to do the same for my Color Blast. But they must have tinkered with the formula because if you cast your eyes on the pic attached, you can see how strong the pigment is after just one coat. I do apply it quite thickly but that is just because the polish has a perfect non drippy texture that lets me do that without looking as if I put the stuff on blindfold! Some nail colours would go streaky or look odd if you tried to do the same. This makes application nice and fast and perfect for holidays when you want to spend minimal time on this kind of thing.

Orly use a special brush handle that is supposed to be easy grip, due to little grips down each side. I don't really notice that they make any difference really- the brush is easy to hold mainly because it is a good length and not one of those silly short and stubby ones. The brush tip gives a nice smooth and even finish which with the colour I chose, is also highly glossy. You can buy other finishes such as matte or ones that appear different under different lighting conditions too. .

DOES IT DRY QUICKLY?

Yes, and those of you who have used the regular Orly polish may be surprised to hear that as in my eperience it was one of the slower ones to set. Color Blast is touch dry in about 2 minutes, with the second coat taking maybe a minute more if you apply one. Considering how long the colour lasts, it would be worth me waiting much longer for it to be ready, so not having to is a nice bonus.

DOES THE COLOUR LAST?

In a rush, I use one polish coat plus a cheap everday top coat from another brand, and that gives a great strong, smooth and glossy colour that won't chip for a few days at least. This is perfect for my finger nails where I don't need my nail colour to last weeks as my nails grow quickly and my work as a gardener makes it impractical to keep nails constantly painted. On my toes, I put on two coats to get the maximum benefit from the hard wearing formula and as mentioned above, I just removed some that had been on my toes chip free for just over a fortnight, and I have had been wearing open toes about half of the time. So full marks for durability.

IS IT EASY TO REMOVE?

Yes, which is another reason this is a user friendly polish. I wear a base coat to guard against staining as the colour and pigment is strong but I do this with all similar products and I have had no problems with the Orly colour marking my nails. NOTE - In the Ciao special criteria ratings section the only options to describe how well the polish lasts is to select "3-4 days" ( a vast understatement), or "Can't get it off!" which I had to pick for want of a more accurate choice but don't misinterpret this to mean you have to scrub at your hands to get rid of the polish, as this is absolutely not true.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS ORLY COLOR BLAST?

Definitely, especially if you are someone who doesn't really like painting your nails but who doesn't want to go bare (!) The polish gives strong colour, no drips, a quick dry time, and long lasting wear which all adds up to less hassle, and less repeat applications. I prefer the Color Blast range to the other Orly ones I have tried, as while they are all good, Color Blast dries faster and needs fewer coats while costing around the same. The colour range is good, especially for bolder colours but there are more subtle choices too. (I would not have considered a polish with a colour name like Neon Grape had I not seen someone wearing it and realised it is not as scary as it sounds. The colour is represented as more purple on line! )

• Secre published 12/10/2017
    VH
  • euphie published 02/10/2017
    e :o)
  • Soho_Black published 02/10/2017
    Great review

offers "Orly Color Blast"