Louise90 5

Louise90

Member since:01.02.2001

My one true love

15.11.2001

Advantages:
The range of books

Disadvantages:
Costa Coffee Shop is expensive

Layout & presentation

Selection & range

Availability

In store customer service

Staff knowledge

Atmosphere

City / Branch addressNorwich

Frequency of visitSeveral times a month

PriceReasonable

18 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. MRSCANADA
  2. eljimbob
  3. Sarah_B

The nearest Ottaker's book store to me is in Lowestoft, but, as I visit Norwich more often than I do Lowestoft, I'm going to tell you about the Norwich branch.

The store itself holds more than 500,000 books, and stands in 15,000 sq ft of ground. Quite amazing, eh?! Situated in the heart of the city, it's one of my all time favourite book shops, and very nearly every time I'm in Norwich I visit this store.

The store is exceptionally clean and tidy, with the thousands of books nearly placed into rows or piles for people to browse around. They are all sectioned off into their respective categories, ie, travel, sci-fi, romance etc. All the latest novels and such like are placed in full view for everyone to see as they enter the store. Like, right now, it's Harry Potter and The Lord of the Ring novels. There are games, puzzles and posters also on sale to do with these books.

The store is brightly coloured, and upstairs is the Costa Coffee Shop. Okay, so it's not all that cheap, but how many book shops do you know that has a coffee shop in it?

Every now and again they will have an author come to the book shop to sign autographs, and read some of his/her latest novel. The author's books will be out on show, along with the time/date of their coming.

The range of books they sell are quite extrodinary. Everything from biography's to GCSE exams, to the down right hilarious and humourous! Even a few slightly off the mark books! The books they sell cater for everyone who's anyone! The children's section is rather good as well. Along with the goodness knows how many kids books there are to buy, there's also a little play area for them!

The staff are friendly, polite and helpful, and seem to have a wide knowledge of the books they sell, and what is on offer.

Well, I LOVE this book shop. I could quite easily spend hours in here, along with loads of money. I nearly always come out with at least one book about something or other.

Sarah_B 21.11.2001 22:19

Coffee shops in bookstores are pretty common here in the States - I always thought that was just the way things were. Hmmn...so now, every time I read one of your ops, I'm going to discover something new, huh? COOL!

RobinLawrie 16.11.2001 16:28

500,000 books!!!! I would never be seen again if I ever went into here LOL••••Robin

peppermint 16.11.2001 00:16

I know what u mean about spending hours in a book shop ... if ever I'm homeless, I know where I'll be seeking shelter!