Outwell Ecocool Coolbox

Review of "Outwell Ecocool Coolbox"

published 10/08/2017 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Energy efficient, tough and durable, nothing will be crushed in transit!
Cons Pricey, large.
Style
Ease of Use
Weight

"Outwell ECOCool Coolbox"

First impressions

If you are looking for a cooler box for those warm days here in the UK (about 3 a day) then your options are limited. We did look for one, and comparing models was quite simple because of the lack of them. Quality obviously varies wildly, and we wanted to stick to a brand that we have experience of for this very reason. Outwell is a brand we know well, and they have a large offering of camping equipment in their range. The Outwell ECOCool is a cooler box that has the looks, but also the performance and practicality.

In terms of looks it would be fair to say that this is a stylish unit. It is available in a range of colours, though performance and practicality were at the top of our list of ‘wants’. Many of the units we came across from other brands were either 12V or 230V, but the Outwell ECOCool has both options, and you don’t even need to specify this at the point of purchase, giving you flexibility.

If you are looking out for those all important ‘Green Credentials’ then the ECOCool could be just what you are looking for. This particular unit has EEI Classification, and although I aim unsure on the finer details, this is a European legislation.

My experience

The first major selling point of this product is that you can either power it using the 12V car cigarette lighter socket, or a 230V mains socket. If you are having a party at home and don’t have a great deal of space in the fridge or freezer then this handy unit will allow you to expand your fridge capacity in an instant.

This cooler also has a heating function, though we have not used this because we just use this as a cooler. I suppose if you have food that you wish to keep warm then it would come in handy, but I would imagine a lot of other people that own one of these only uses the cooler function, too. In terms of cooling you should expect around a 20 degree drop from the outside temperature. This is achieved over a short period of time, though opening the lid regularly can also hinder the progress of the unit to reach the low temperature quickly. What we find is that we cool some cans in our home fridge if we are having a party, adding them to the cooler and helping it to reach a low temperature sooner. When you are away this is not possible, and if you are camping you will not be able to do this.

I have noticed that the current model has a cooler block, which doubles up as a divider. This would be very useful, though we just have the basic divider, which is a shame. If you buy the unit from new then the cooler block can be frozen, allowing you to get the cooler down to a low temperature quickly.

The handle is very sturdy, and the only limitation is the contents. If you fill it with cans and bottles then the cooler is rather heavy. I wouldn’t use this to carry around anyway, as it must be plugged in to stay cool. The cooler can be unplugged and will remain cool for a period of time due to its insulation, and the insulation is obviously better than a cooler bag. This makes it ideal for picnics.

In terms of build quality I cannot complain. The unit is rock solid, though it does take up a fair amount of space, and if you don’t wish to fill it then it can be a bit of a nuisance with the amount of space it takes up. Still, the smart looks and solid construction will ensure this product lasts for years to come.

Plugging the ECOCooler in is very easy, and the cables are protected at the point they connect to the unit. The connections are at the back of the lid, so not near the floor. This is a bonus because wires are less likely to be trapped under the unit. Using mains power will see a quicker cool time, and the unit gives out a gentle hum as opposed to a loud buzz when in operation.

The ECOCool is available in a range of colours. I would have to say that the grey and lime combination looks very smart, but this was not an option for us when we bought ours, which was a shame.

Price and availability

The 24 litre model is priced at around the £70 mark, with the larger 35 litre size setting you back £100. This may seem a lot, though you could always look on sites such as Gumtree and eBay for models in used condition. A lot of people buy these and get little use from them, so if you know you will use it a lot then you can pick up one in great condition for a fraction of the retail price.

Final thoughts

As I have mentioned, many of these are seldom used, but if you know you will find the product useful then this is a great purchase to make. The Outwell ECOCool is not exactly cheap, but you get what you pay for, which is an electric cool box. Reliable, durable and very useful in warmer climes.

Overall I am very happy with the ECOCool from Outwell. The larger size would suit the larger family, but I looked at both models (35l and 24l) in the flesh before buying, and the larger size just seemed too big, and it would take up too much space, far more than the use we would get from the cool box.

• justarube published 13/08/2017
    Good review
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 12/08/2017
    Any idea what the dimensions are of the smaller one please? Plus does it need to be kept upright when in use?
  • kiss_me2070 published 12/08/2017
    Brilliantly review - E

offers "Outwell Ecocool Coolbox"