Ovranette Contraceptive Pill

Ovranette Contraceptive Pill

Female Contraception - Contraceptive Pills

Review of "Ovranette Contraceptive Pill"

published 18/04/2003 | polgara1979
Member since : 24/10/2002
Satisfactory
Pro easy to use
Cons depends on the person
Side effects
Strength

"The Traditional Contraceptive Pill"

The Pill:
As a contraceptive pill, Ovranette has been around for quite a while and is probably a little out of date against its competitors now. It was first recommened to me when I began university at 18 as one of the best ways to help prevent pregnancy.

Advantages:
When I first started taking it, it was great, I had regular periods and the ones I did have were a lot lighter and only lasted 4/5 days when before they used to last about 7/8 (I was one of the unfortunate ones!). This of course saved me money on certain ladies toiletries and made my life a lot more easier in general. Of course the other advantage would be that I didn't get pregnant at any point!

Disadvantages:
Unfortunately for me, there were many! I had been on Ovranette for about 6 months when I noticed just how much weight I had started to put on. Now I already knew this could be a side affect of the pill so immediately started doing more exercise and went on a sensible diet. The following months, I noticed no change, in fact if anything I started to put more and more weight on. Throughout a year and a half on the pill I put on 3 stone. Now I'm not saying that this is all do to Ovranette, it just seemed highly conincidental.
Secondly about 1 year into taking it, I started to suffer from slight depression. I didn't at all relate this to taking Ovranette and to be honest didn't even go to the doctor about it. I just thought 'I'll get over it'. Eventually however, my work started to suffer and I finally went to see the local doctor. He immediately took me off Ovranette saying that this could be the cause of my depression and told me to keep of all hormonal contraceptive treatments for a while. Consequently I lost weight quite quickly, and went back to my normal self. One other side effect during this time was that my blood pressure went very high, but this could also have been related to putting on weight.

Now six months ago I decided to ask about a contraceptive pill again, and despite my past history was recommended Ovranette again. A similar thing has happened with my weight and I'm now off them again!

This pill works as it should do regarding contraception but I feel that a lot of its competitors which are more up to date would be better recommended. This pill seems to offer a lot of side effects for those people who are prone to them when taking medication. I would wholly recommend anyone seeking a contraceptive pill to talk thoroughly with their doctor first!

• Miss_BooBookitty published 17/05/2003
    I've had the combined, and low dosage pills, either way I put on 2 stone in a month with all of them :/ They are great for some people but not all, good op :) M xx
  • ariadne published 18/04/2003
    I can't believe you were prescribed this pill twice despite suffering side-effects the first time you were on it! I hope you're using a different pill now (and a different doctor!). x
  • emsie25 published 18/04/2003
    What awful side effects! x