PC World

Computers & Electronics

Review of "PC World"

published 05/07/2001 | sparkydog
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Some great offers, fair choice, fast & careful delivery, you don't have to visit an actual PC World store!
Cons Order tracking ineffective

"They're not aware of it but it's a great service"

I tried PC World on-line when I saw an ad last Christmas for a Boxing Day sale at PC World's normal store. They had a laser printer I wanted for half-price, a Samsung ML-4500 for £74.99 instead of £149.99. This was a one-day special offer. The trouble was I knew from past experience that on an offer as good as this, PC World only sends a very limited number of the item to each store, so it's often sold out when you get there- then they try to interest you in something else at a higher price! I was working on Boxing Day so it would be difficult for me to get to the store early.

So I decided to check their on-line store, not really expecting them to have the same offer available, but they did. I placed the order on Boxing Day, and it was accepted but it stated very clearly in very large text that this order was only accepted subject to the item being in stock- if they'd run out, the order could be cancelled. Reading that I expected them to get back saying they'd sold out.

However, just two days later the printer was delivered in perfect working order! I thought a 48-hour delivery time was superb considering it was ordered on Boxing Day.

The only problem was that PC World seemed unaware of their own good service! I got a total of three e-mails over the next few days apologising that they hadn't delivered my printer, but they had run out of stock. However, they'd deliver as soon as they could get more in stock!
This meant that my credit card wasn't debited because as far as they were concerned, they hadn't delivered the printer!

Still, rather than worry about it I decided to just carry on using my printer and wait for them to realise it had been delivered- finally a few days later they seemed to work it out and my credit card was debited correctly. There was a delivery charge, I forget how much it was exactly but I know the overall price was still under £80, so I think it was only between £3 to £4, not bad at all for a 48-hour delivery of a heavy, delicate item and it did arrive in perfect condition.

So although it was marred a little by them not being aware of the delivery- I would have preferred to have my card debited sooner- I didn't mind too much because they corrected it without me having to contact them- and the e-mails they mistakenly sent do suggest that even though they'd obviously had a lot of orders for this printer, they were trying to get printers for everybody who'd ordered one instead of just cancelling orders as they had a right to do.

So I was very happy with the service- I was surprised their on-line store matched the offers in their regular stores, and I've since noticed that was well as matching store offers they also seem to offer online-only deals the stores don't have.

Best of all, you get PC World's good choice and occasional very good offers without having to actually visit a PC World store- famous for being a pretty harrowing experience!

Highly recommended!

• Hedgehog published 17/07/2001
    Nice Op - Thanks Bob:)
  • TheNeil published 05/07/2001
    But PC World are awful. You must have been blessed by someone in a red and white hat or something. =;)