Review of "Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus"

published 20/03/2005 | ruthpern
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Powered from the USB cable
Cons Fax option, but no sheet feeder
Speed
Colour sensitivity
Resolution
Ease of Installation

"Good quality for the Price"

Technical Bit

USB Port (powered)
SVGA (800x600) 16-bit Video
CD or DVD Drive
64 MB RAM
220 MB hard disk space (for full installation)

Mac Minimum system requirements
Mac OS 8.6/9.0 or 9.1
USB Port (Powered)
24-bit video
CD-ROM Drive
32 MB RAM
32 MB hard disk space
Note: The one-touch keys do not function under the Mac OS.

PC Software
Ulead PhotoExpress SE
FineReader OCR
Puzzl’Em & Crush’Em Games – Games using scanned images

Features/Specifications
Scan Area: 21.6 cm x 29.7 cm (8.5” x 11.7”)
True Colour: 48-bit
Grey Scale: 16-bit
Scan Method: Single Pass Scanning
Optical Resolution: 600 x 12000 dpi (enhanced by software to 19200 x 19200 dpi)
Scan Buffer: 16KB
Power Consumption: 2.5W
Operating Temperature: 10C to 40C (50F to 104F)
Operating Humidity: 35% to 80%
Dimensions: 405 x 281.5 x 37 mm
Weight: 1.9kg
5 one-touch buttons (Scan, Panel, E-Mail, Fax and Copy)
Sound effects

The Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus scanners, comes with two CDs (one with the driver, FineReader and games, the other with PhotoExpress), the user guide, two addendums to the user guide and two setup guides (one for the PC and the other for the Mac).

The user manual is about 50 pages, but is in a number of languages so there are only 5 pages for each language. I personal think this a waste of paper and companies should be stopped from wasting resources like this, I know it is probably cheap, but it such a waste. Well that’s my little grumble out of the way, back to my review.

The scanner was the cheapest I could find to buy off the shelf, at a little under £35 from PC World, as it is cheap some of its functions are limited, the main one being the optical resolution. This however I do not find to be a problem as I only have a 600x600dpi printer, so scanning any higher would be as waste when I come to print out my images.

The scanner has a stand and can be used in a vertical position, however I found that unless you are scanning something very flat (with not creases) it slips down before you can close the lid.

The installation using XP was easy, however it failed to install the one-touch button application on the first attempt. I have not installed PhotoExpress (as I used different software) and the FineReader and Games. I have never used OCR but it’s nice to have other option if I want. As for the games I do not think I will bother, as I needed a scanner and not some cheap games.

I have scanned about 10 images so far and I am very happy with the results, the scanner itself is nice and quiet (compared to some I know) and the scan is reasonably fast.

As with most scanners this one has single touch function buttons, which I personally will not use but I am sure some people will. The main problem I would find with using any scanner as a fax will be trying to send more than one page without a sheet feeder. The copy function works quite well by scanning and sending the output directly to the print.

This scanner does not have some of the more advanced toys of the more expensive scanners (e.g. negative scanners), but for basic image scanning (for printing) then this scanner is perfect. If you require a scanner to produce images for graphical manipulation, then I would not bother as the optical resolution is on the low side.

• 6719jason published 09/05/2006
    I this is a very good review that i feel sums up the scanner so thanks to you i am considering buying it! thanks
  • wbk666 published 15/06/2005
    is this a re-packaged Mustek BearPaw 2400CU Plus? the dimensions are exactly the same and it looks the same. the packard bell even has the 5 buttons liad out in the "bearpaw footprint" configuration. Otherwise a very indepth review.
  • jeffe published 21/03/2005
    Sounds like a good scanner