Packard Bell (Shop)

Packard Bell (Shop)

Review of "Packard Bell (Shop)"

published 20/01/2001 | alflavor
Member since : 26/07/2000
Good
Pro Available on the high street. Lot of free software
Cons Very hard to upgrade. No actual OS disc
How well informed were the staff?
How helpful were the staff?
How efficient was the service?
How good is their helpline/technical support?
Overall, how satisfied were you with the service?

"No bad problems"

On the whole I have been pleased with Packard Bell, but having said that I would not but another.
I have a PB Club 40, purchased in October 1998. It has a Cyrix M II 300mhz processor, with onboard sound and graphics card and a 56K modem. It had 32mb ram, this has been upgraded by myself to 60mb.
I was pleased with the purchase price at the time (£599) and got the usual package you can expect from Dixon's. Some games, MS Works, Win 98 and MS Money.
I have never had a problem as such but basically some things have made me decide to never have another Packard.

I suppose since becoming a net addict(!) I have discovered that I can get a much better PC online, and to my own spec too.

The PB comes with a lot of preinstalled software, which is not uninstallable. This is bad as I am forced to keep certain items on my machine.
I have got around this by borrowing the win 98 cd from a friend and doing a format/install.
The PB comes with master cd and boot disc, which simply puts all the original software back on the hard drive. There was no option to have just the operating system.

I have had a lot of problems with noise from the processor fan. It has been like this for about 18 months now, but I think it was just dust in the ball bearings. I have blown a lot of dust from inside recently and it has been quite for the past two weeks. Fingers crossed it stays quiet!

So all in all I have been fairly happy with the machine, but the lack of an actual win98 cd did not please me, nor the fact that the sound and graphics cards are on the motherboard, therefore un-upgradable.

I was pleased with the machine as a whole and it surfs the net very well for me, but having become much more knowledgable recently about pc's I would buy online and have a pc made to my own spec in the future.

I am glad I have not had issues like some other ciao members have with this manufacturer.

Recommended only for beginners to computers, and for those whose most convenient pc reseller is PC World or Dixons. These two are the only ones who sell PB machines in the UK.

• davidbuttery published 29/01/2001
    Useful op. nice to see that not *everyone* hates Packard Pell's kit - though it looks like you're in a fairly small minority judging by others' reviews!
  • bazza1603 published 28/01/2001
    hello mate, ive got the same model with a media trainer motherboard. you can upgrade the graphic card my disabling the onboard 2D card which is easy to do by moving a jumper switch.you then need a 3D card which should cost about 40 quid for a good one with 8mb ram...but the bigger the ram the better the graphics will play.Email me at bazza1603@hotmail.com and I will help you. Barry
  • clanmac4 published 23/01/2001
    Could not agree with you more: I have a PB Club 60 it also has an onboard AGP Graphics card and Soundcard. But not enough spare PCI slots to upgrade everything without taking out my tv card and modem. Also if you want to upgrade the box , there is not a lot of room in there. I did manage to get a Voodoo 4 GC in, but now its chocca.

Product Information : Packard Bell (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 26/07/2000