Packard Bell Slimview S727

Packard Bell Slimview S727

Display - TFT active matrix

Review of "Packard Bell Slimview S727"

published 02/10/2003 | diamond57
Member since : 27/08/2001
Pro clear, easy to set up
Cons no in built speakers, limited moveability

"17" of clear vision"

Having bought a new Packard Bell 5126 base unit (see separate review) I wanted a screen that would do it justice, and I think this does the job. The difference from my old monitor was incredible, my husband thought he would never get used to a screen so large - one week on he does not know how we used to cope with our old screen!!

As PB are replacing all their range with the new white version - which personally I do not like - I managed to find this in PC World for £299 as an ex-demo guaranteed no dead pixels (they said the original price was £429). This appealled to me because with most TFT monitors the manufacturers have a certain tollerance level of dead pixels they allow. The speakers that came with the base unit can be attached to the side of a PB CRT monitor but do not seem to fit the TFT, and there are USB ports on the rear of the base of the monitor.

It is possible to tilt the base unit, but I don't think it can be turned round 90 degrees and it is very stiff to tilt.

I did not get any manuals or drivers with it, but you can straight plug and play although a driver can be downloaded from PB's website - have done so but does not seem to make any difference.

Would not recommend to anyone who does not have PB base unit etc in the strange bluey & grey colours, purely because it will not match at all.

• barney_mcrury published 02/10/2003
    i'm currently building a new system and would love one of these, dont think the budget will quite stretch that far though!!