Palm Tree Heritage, Varkala

Review of "Palm Tree Heritage, Varkala"

published 25/05/2016 | mumsymary
Member since : 23/09/2002
Should ciao go down the pan, then I should like to say thank you and how good its been to get to know you. wishing you all the best in the future. MM
Pro Location , location, location.
Cons rooms need updating
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"The palm tree on the beach in Varkala, a place to sleep and dine"

Palm Tree Heritage, Varkala

Today I shall tell you of the Palm Tree Heritage, Varkala, near Kerala India .We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of February.
This hotel was booked via booking .com.

We had already had nearly 2 weeks holiday at other resorts in Kerala. Not having our own transport, we hired a taxi from the resort we were in previously, I can not remember the Taxi price now but it was much less than a taxi in England over the same distance.
Varkala is a seaside town about 85k from the Neyyar Dam the place we stayed at before our visit to Varkala 42 K from Thrivanthrupuram
I am glad we had a Taxi although I expect we would have been able to find Our Hotel the Palm tree being almost the last on the northern coastal edge of Varkala .We also had a map and had looked it up on Google maps. It was a lot less stressful having someone else find it for us.
The position very good right on the edge of the town but walk able and right on the coast.

We were dropped by our taxi by the side of our hotel; we could see a restaurant cafe right on the front in a small cove looking out to sea. Yes this would be the hotel restaurant where we would eat our breakfast, and evening meal. Behind the restaurant were the offices where we booked in and someone showed us our room which were in the hotel block. At the Palm trees heritage there are also some "bungalows to rent by the sea the opposite side of the" restaurant" In the palm trees heritage compound there was also a tourist shop selling jewellery and bags all seemed quite expensive/
Anyway we were shown the building where we would be staying. Standing by the door was a man who welcomed us and was always there to give assistance; we saw him tidy up a little and do general duties. We were given the options of 2 rooms a ground floor room and the room we choose a second floor room with small balcony and sea view.
Not to get upstairs there was no lift stairs only. (Walking upstairs is good exercise :-))

~Prices.
These prices for June are about £20 per night for 2 people can not remember exact price we paid in Feb this year. Check out current prices on the website http://www.booking.com/hotel/in/palm-tree-heritage.en-gb.html or http://www.palmtreeheritage.com/

~Our bedroom
We investigated our room. The room was quite large. A double bed with bedside units either side or room to walk around it easily. A unit for hanging clothes and a chest of drawers. There was an electric kettle, tea and coffee. Also a Safety Deposit Box and Air Conditioning

~Shower room
One door led straight into the tiny shower room it was more like a wet room shower had no shower tray. There were a few toiletries provided and towels. We had problems with the shower, it dripped constantly then one day was running fully and we could not turn it off. We told someone on the reception desk and it was fixed to some degree.

~Balcony
Then another door leading from the main room onto a tiny balcony. The balcony had a couple of chairs on it. The view was not direct out to see but at an angle however we could see the sea quite well without too much problem. The window on the opposite side of our room to the balcony overlooked a grave yard.

WI fi was available and we had a mini fridge in our room In general the room was ok.

The bed comfortable we slept well and went for breakfast,

~Restaurant area

We had to cross the track/road in front of our apartment block and walk a very short distance along a track to the dining area. There is some covered seating area next to the kitchen and bar. Also there is a "garden" area with a few hammocks and plants. We chose to sit at one of the tables with an umbrella over it, in the area over looking the beach. This was an ideal location very attractive cove and we could watch the boats out at sea. At certain times of the day we watched the fishermen taking their drag nets out to sea.

~Food
We has booked bed and breakfast as I thought we might try another restaurant in the town one night but as it was such a good location , only there for 3 nights and food was good we did not eat a meal elsewhere.

So sat down watching the sea we were bought breakfast menu and asked our room number.
The breakfast menu included, fruit juices, fruit, cereal, eggs, toast, uppuma, fruits coffee or tea and many other options.

We also had our evening meal by the beach here. When it gets dark candles are lit on the tables. If there is a sunset it is a glorious view across the sea.
There is a good choice of meals ranging in price from around 300 rupees to about 500 rupees. The top price for the fresh fish which we could choose from its iced display barrow. Since it was nearly the end of the holiday, cautious with the money, we opted for cheaper versions. Various curries were available and salads.

The food in general was very good the staff helpful too. A few spoke some English.
~Things to do
Yoga lessons and Ayurvedic massage sessions were available as they seem to be in a lot of Kerala hotels. There is a spa centre. No swimming pool but being so close to the sea not really necersarry. I did see some people in the sea in front of our hotel. We found the manager helpful he booked a taxi for us to the airport on our last day...

If you wanted a holiday to spend just sat sunning yourself by the hotel then this would be a good location lovely view, good restaurant. However If you wish to go on trips there are plenty of trips that can be arranged in Varkala, I suspect hotel would arrange trips for you.

~What we did
We explored the town one day and took a taxi to about 6-8 K south of Varkala and then walked back along the beach, We walked through a village where locals living in poor quality housing (I hate to say this but they were just rough home made wooden shacks) In this are we saw several children begging for "school pen". We stopped to buy a fresh coconut which was prepared for us by people living in a seaside shack, The we came to a n area by the beach where we noticed large cameras set up and groups dancing , They were filming , not sure if it was Bollywood but it was interesting. We continued our walk into Varkala up from the beach and stopped for a drink. The long beach at Varkala would be a good place to sun you and to swim, we saw a few people doing so.

The next day we walked the opposite direction to Kappil beach where there is a small lake. This way north from the hotel was not really built up though there were a few hotels. This walk was for exploring and seeing birds and butterflies.

~Did I enjoy the stay at this hotel?
Yes the hotel was fine, not the best on this holiday but good. I am not sure if I would go again but that's because I would rather visit a different location if going back to India.

~Well that's nearly the last of my India reviews. We had an amazing time. I think I would like to go back to visit another area one day. Maybe stay a bit longer to make it more cost effective as the main cost is in the airfare, once there things are cheaper than England and it would be possible to live quite cheaply.

Useful websites
Map https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Varkala,+Kerala,+India/@8.7432907,76.682463,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3b05ef26d90220fb:0xa3ec40c67d4dd020!8m2!3d8.7378685!4d76.7163359

Thank you for reading my reviews Mary

• creativecaspro published 04/06/2016