Review of "Pan (DVD)"

published 11/01/2016 | stacey2911
Member since : 23/10/2013
I'm Back after over a month of not having a laptop
Pro A great film
Cons A few holes but leaves space for a second movie
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"PAN before he meets Wendy"

PAN
Released in: 2016
Certificate:
Price: £9.99
Running Time: 111 minutes

I'm a huge fan of all the Peter Pan movies, from the Disney cartoon version to Hook. When I heard there was yet another Peter Pan movie out I was a bit apprehensive about watching it. There's been so many already that I thought maybe another one would be too much. There's only so many films you can bring out based on the same story. A lot of reviews online are Negative, this however didn't stop me watching it (obviously) I just kept in mind how amazing the rest of the movies are.

Pan is a great addition to my large peter pan collection of films. It follows the life of Peter, how he ended up in Neverland, how he met Tinkerbell and part of his journey before he met Wendy. If you've ever wondered about Peters parents this film explains them too. peter is a 12 year old orphan during world war 2, he's always been quite adventurous and daring. During one night all the boys from the orphanage were taken by Blackbeard to work in a mine in Neverland to dug for fairy dust. Peter meets James Hook who he becomes good friends with, they manage to escape from Blackbeard on search for information on Peters Mother, He has a feeling she's in Neverland. They head to the Tribal where they meet tiger lily and the 3 of them become a team. It's not long before Blackbeard tracks them down and all hell breaks loose.

For those of you who don't know, Neverland is a place where you never grow up. As long as you stay in Neverland you will stay the same age as you are when you arrive. Peter Loves it there and never wants to leave meaning he will be a child forever alongside his lost boys.

Casting
Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard
Hugh Jackman never fails to deliever. Exceptionally brilliant character. Blackbeard is scared of peter to start with as a story says that a boy who can fly will be the one who can kill him.
Levi Miller as Peter
This isn't my favourite Peter, I think at times his acting was a little weak but looks wise he looks like a vulnerable orphan who would do anything to be reunited with his mother. With more experience and guidance I think Levi could be a great actor but as Peter Pan i think this role was too ambitious for him. Peter in this film has a very cockney accent
Garrett Hedlund as Hook
This is a side to Hook I have never seen. Nice Hook who saves Peter Pan a number of times and looks out for him, almost like a father. Hook has always been scared of crocodiles which is shown in this movie and also his loves for ships.
Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily
She's not how I thought she would be but I really like her relationship between Hook.
Adeel Akhtar as Sam Smiegel
Betrays Hook and takes the side of Blackbeard. I'd really like to know how Smiegel and Hook regained their friendship.

I really like the first line of the movie, it sets the whole scene and gives a brief synopsis of the plot:
'I am going to tell you a story about a boy who would never grow up. About the pirate who wished to kill him. About the island where fairies roamed. But this isn't the story you've heard before, because sometimes friends begin as enemies, and enemies begin as friends. Sometimes to truly understand how things end, we must first know how they begin.'

I really enjoyed this movie, I thought it was brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised. I think there will be a Pan 2, the reason I think this is because there are so many questions without answers.
There's been a few posts on social media about neverland being where children go when they die and about the darling children getting flu and dying. I'm so glad that this film has put that completely out of my mind. I know that for a childrens' movie that's quite a deep and depressing thought to have but once you read something like that you do start to question it on whether it can be true or not.

• justarube published 13/11/2016