SusanLesl... 4

SusanLesley

Member since:21.10.2000

A good suck and a tool for my crevices

04.09.2002

Advantages:
Good suction, good price, good looking .

Disadvantages:
Still a bit ont he heavy side .

Performance

21 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. GavMan
  2. ClaireC77
  3. in1072

OK so you must all know by now that we have moved to a new house by the sea, well new to us anyway, it was actually built in 1896.

Due to the age of the place and in some cases the lack of maintenance by the previous owners, we are having a fair bit of work done on the place. Our first jobs were to have a partition removed which had been dividing our first floor lounge into two letting bedrooms and have an ensuite bathroom put in for mom and dad. We then found a leak in the flat roof on top of the loft extension, which according to the builder had been there for some time, so we have had to replace the roof. The central heating boiler had also seen better days and so that had to be replaced too.

This background information is to show just why such a strain had been put on the vacuum cleaner! The previous owner had left hers for me and it was quite old anyway, but I think the continual dust and debris proved to be just too much for it! It gave off a very strange burning smell and died!

Dave offered to treat me to a new vacuum cleaner – any one I wanted. Boy, he knows how to treat a girl! What a romantic eh?

Now in the past I have always gone for a Hoover Junior and found them to be very reliable and fairly long lasting too, but the range of upright cleaners has expanded out of all recognition!

I know Dave had been hankering after a Dyson, just so that he could see the dust swirling round in it! Boys and toys again! I had read quite a few bad reports about the Dyson range and they were too expensive anyway.

After a good look in Currys, Comet and Argos, trying each of the cleaners for weight, as I would be carrying it up and down stairs, we settled on a Panasonic E470 costing £99.40. It wasn’t the cheapest on display but it was far from the most expensive.

It is a smart bright red bagless cleaner so Dave does get to see the dust whirling round after all and to be fair he does do his share of the vacuuming – come to think of it he does most of my share too! It is 6.9 kg in weight so that’s 15lb in old money which is quite heavy really but even the so called lightweight ones were 6.4 kg so it didn’t make a fat lot of difference really.

The cleaner has a set of on board tools comprising of an extension wand, a crevice nozzle (make of that what you will!) and a dusting brush for soft furnishings.

It has various height settings for the brushes, which you adjust according to the depth of pile on your carpet. There is the usual foot pedal at the side of the cleaner to make the handle drop to an angle of about 45% for easier cleaning, but you can also press the pedal again and make the cleaner lie virtually flat for cleaning under furniture.

The transparent dust compartment on the front of the cleaner has a little mark to show the maximum level to which you should allow the dust to fill the container. You are encouraged to empty the container well before the level reaches this mark.

Emptying it is simplicity itself. You just have to slide it off the front of the cleaner, unscrew the lid, empty the container, replace the lid and slot it back onto the cleaner. Of course this also means that I won’t have to buy vacuum cleaner bags either.

The cleaner comes with a simple to understand instruction leaflet, incidentally all in English so there’s no thumbing through it trying to find the correct language. There are plenty of illustrations to show you what to do and instructions on how to change the belt and change and clean the filter, but obviously I haven’t needed to do any of these things yet.

You must be wondering by now if it works, well yes it does and very well too. As I said earlier any vacuum cleaner in this house will have its work cut out for the foreseeable future as we gradually get the house how we want it and this one certainly rose to the occasion.

It picked up all the bits and did so quickly and quietly, so that’ll do for me!

Elainebaba 11.09.2002 07:32

Ooo, how lovely to live in a house that was built in the 80's guess this cleaner will sure use its suction to clear the ghosts as well! heheh! Avril

Ladywell1 08.09.2002 01:21

Hi, good op. Thanks Jenn.

miniloopie 05.09.2002 13:35

I never knew I was interested in vacuum cleaners till I read this! Nice op, mini :)