Upright Cleaner - Mains Power Supply - 1900 Watt - Bagged - without HEPA Filter

Review of "Panasonic MC-UG302"

published 08/08/2012 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro price, performance, good capacity
Cons doesn't pick uo hairs well, appearance, I hate bagged hoovers!
Performance
Noise
Safety

"A Reliable Vacuum From Panasonic!"

Panasonic MC-UG302 Vacuum

This upright vacuum cleaner is of the bagged variety. It offers 260 air watts for strong sucking power and is a 1900 watt model. Panasonic claim that this hoover is light weight. It is supplied with some tools including a brush and crevice aswell as an extension tube which should be attatched to the hose.

Other features include :
  • A 1.6m hose which extends to 2.6m - ideal for staircase cleaning
  • A 6.1l dust bag capacity with a total capacity of 4.5l.
  • An indicator lets you know when the bag needs changed
  • A 6.7m power cord
  • 5 bags included at time of purchase
  • Electrostatic filtration system

This vacuum weighs in at 6.3k and measures 104.5 x 32.3 x 32cm. It is white in colour. The vacuum features 'edge to edge' cleaning ability. This vacuum is suitable for all floor types and adjusts to respond to carpet and wooden flooring effortlessly.
Price and Availability
The MC-UG302 is one of the cheaper Panasonic vacuums on the market.
  • www.panasonic.co.uk - £79.99
  • Amazon UK - £79.99
  • Argos - £89.99

A pack of 5 dust bags can be purchased from Argos priced at £6.29.
My Experience
I do not have a good track record with vacuum cleaners. When my Vax started playing up at the start of the year, I went through a phase of using the hose to do all my hoovering. This was back breaking stuff and I was too stingy to buy a new vacuum until it was completely dead. My Mum told me she was getting a new vacuum and asked if I wanted her old one which was only a year old - I snapped it up!

Personally, I do not like bagged vacuum cleaners - I prefer bagless but I won't hold that aspect against this vacuum. Whilst I received this second hand, I have checked with my Mum and she confirmed that there was minimal assembly required when new and it was pretty simple stuff.

The vacuum itself isn't exactly stylish in appearance hence why I store it in the cupboard when not in use. It looks really old fashioned compared to my old Vax. It is the perfect height for me to use comfortably and feels very sturdy indeed. The bags are easy to insert and dispose of by simply pulling down the front panel of the vacuum. This isn't messy as the dust is well contained. The onboard tools are located at the back of the vacuum and are very neatly presented.
In Use

This vacuum has been used for around 18 months between my own house and my Mums. My Mum has stairs in her home and it is fully carpeted. She confirmed that this vacuum was fine to use on her stairs but extending the hose and she was able to carry it up stairs without hassle. Our flat is all on one level but is very big. I have carpet in my living room and my sons room - the rest of the house has wooden flooring and I use this vacuum on all the surfaces.

The power cord is long which is great but it isn't long enough for me to be able to vacuum my whole flat without having to swap to another plug socket. Our flat, granted, is quite long as we have three large bedrooms. It is an akward shape and I find myself having to plug the power cable into different plugs to avoid it catching on the door frames. This doesn't take very long at all and really isn't a problem for me personally. The cable wraps neatly around the hook at the back of the vacuum when not in use.

This vacuum is very lightweight and glides like a dream across all flooring types. It doesn't have lots of fiddly buttons to mess around with - just press the on switch and press down on the foot leaver and off you go! The vacuum adjusts well to the different floor types in my home and performs well on both carpet and wooden flooring. The vacuum is very noisy but not any more so than other vacuums I have used in the past.

In terms of cleaning, this vacuum does perform well and satisfies my cleaning needs. It isn't as good as the more expensive vacuums (including my sisters which is a fancy Vax) but it suits us. I don't think I would purchase a more expensive vacuum for our home unless we chose to carpet the whole house. The vacuum picks up crumbs and dust from the carpet easy enough without the constant need to run over the same area - it has reasonably good suction. I notice that it brings my sons bedroom carpet up looking fresh and tidy. My hair falls out a lot and even when I have vacuumed already, I still notice strands so I do not think this would be ideal for pet owners in my opinion unless you are willing to get down on your knees with the hose!

I prefer to sweep my wooden flooring and then hoover up the little bundle of dust. I do occasionally get lazy and run over the flooring with the vacuum. This vacuum covers a good amount of flooring at anyone time but I haven't been overly impressed with the 'edge to edge' aspect as I find that any dust is still noticeable along the front of my skirting boards after vacuuming. I end up needing to use the hose with the tools attatched to get into the corners and along the skirting boards. The tools are really good and pretty standard for a vacuum. The brush is really good and allows me to sweep out dust that I didn't know was there! Perfect for under the radiators and hard to reach areas. The hose extends well and is very durable.

How often you need to change the bag depends on how much you hoover up. Despite using daily, I do not vacuum a massive amount up so one bag has lasted us for ages. I've only just had to change it for the first time since I brought this home from my Mums so it does hold quite a bit. The indicator works well and is very reliable.
Conclusion

Overall this vacuum has been reliable. Personally, I will keep using this one until I decided to buy another bagless one. This is a good vacuum for the price range it falls in to. It would suit those with stairs or those on the one level and is very easy to use and manouver around the home. The vacuum is very easy to use but the user manual did give the relevant information for this vacuum.

Thanks for reading :)

A pic shall be uploaded tonight.

• Coloneljohn published 26/08/2012
    An excellent review. John
  • jojoborne published 09/08/2012
    Excellent review x
  • BrookieFan99 published 09/08/2012
    My nan has this & it's a the noise is so flaming loud my ears bled!