Parque Nacional Torres del Paine

Parque Nacional Torres del Paine

Review of "Parque Nacional Torres del Paine"

published 20/01/2003 | Jo23-5
Member since : 20/01/2003
Pro Stunning scenery
Cons Long flights

"Torres Del Paine"

Trekked around the Torres Del Paine National park as part of "Trek Patagonia" a charity trek organised by Mencap. I had always wanted to visit Chile and was able to combine raising over £3,000 for Mencap with seeing one of the most beautiful areas of Southern Chile.
The park is a few hours drive from Punta Arenas which is one of the last stops before polar expeditions and the local wildlife includes penguins.The park is well organised with several camp areas and provision huts. We had local trek leaders with each group and all fitness levels were catered for. The trek to the 3 peaks was hampered by cloud, but the best part for me was a trek to the Grey Glacier. We sat and ate lunch facing the glacier watching chunks of ice thousands of years old dropping into the water- Magical.Glacial lakes and condors provided some of the views as we trekked. The treks would be within most peoples ability but is rugged terrain, so maps are essential and local knowledge advisable. There is accomodation within the park and a bar and restaurant close to the hotel. We camped in various locations most of which had the usual facilities and food and drink. However the shower blocks can feel somewhat glacial themselves!!
The weather when we were there (March) was cold over night dropping to below zero (those thermals were useful!) During the day it was warm and very sunny with the exception of the odd rainy day. However we were advised to wear very high SPF sun cream due to the harsh UV etc.
The only complaint ( and a very minor one at that) would be the flights - very long and made a bit more uncomfortable by tired legs from trekking. However it would not stop me going back.
Jo

• RobStead published 20/01/2003
    Welcome to Ciao. Great first op. Well written and very informative. If you need any help around Ciao, just leave a message in my guestbook and I'll do my best to help you. Hope to hear more from you. Rob :)
  • SueMagee published 20/01/2003
    Hi and welcome to Ciao! That must have been a wonderful trip. I've always wanted to go to South America. If you expand your opinion perhaps you would add some details about the climate at different times of the year.
  • daniellesadler published 20/01/2003
    good op, more detail will get u higher ratings

Product Information : Parque Nacional Torres del Paine