Patak's Balti Curry Paste

Patak's Balti Curry Paste

Review of "Patak's Balti Curry Paste"

published 21/11/2009 | stephbond89
Member since : 30/05/2009
Pro tasty, easy to use!!! The perfect spiciness for me!
Cons Not suitable for those with a nut allergy!
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Simple curry paste!"

== Pataks Original curry paste ==

Introduction

When I moved into my own flat with my husband, I had to learn to cook for myself, although I had cooked a lot before at my parent’s house, but not really much, so for the first couple of weeks we lived off jars of pre made curry and chilli, and simple things that I didn’t have to worry much about and didn’t require much skill. But pretty soon that got very boring! We seemed to be eating the same things over and over again, and it was a getting expensive too buying these jars for almost everyday.

As my confidence in the kitchen grew, I started making things from scratch rather than using jars all the time! But curry was the one thing I couldn’t make myself, I had no idea where to start, so my only option was the jars.

But then I found this curry paste.

It only cost around £2, and contained around 4-6 meals for two inside. I read the instructions and decided it would be very easy to make, only having to add water, chopped tomatoes and onions, and anything else you might want to add to a curry (vegetables, mushrooms etc).

So we bought some, and although since buying it for that first time, I have learned how to make a curry direct from curry powder (along with a lot more!), and we don’t buy this as much anymore, it is a great product which really boosted my confidence in the kitchen. And it makes at least 4 delicious meals!

Use

Patak’s curry paste is used to make a traditional Indian Madras curry at home. It is extremely simple to use, and all instructions are written out clearly on the back of the jar. The instructions are to serve two people, so if you are making this for a family of four, then double the recipe.

What else you will need to make your Pataks Madras Curry:
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium diced onion
70g (1/4 of the jar) curry paste
250g diced meat (chicken, beef, lamb, fish or vegetables)
200g tin chopped tomato
100ml water
1tsp Chopped coriander (opt)

All in all, this recipe costs me around £4 to make, (£2 for meat, 50p for chopped tomatoes, 50p for quarter of the jar of curry paste, 50p for onion, 20p for vegetable oil, 30p for coriander), and this makes a good sized meal for two people.

Making the curry couldn’t be easier.

You will need quite a large pan, in it fry your diced onion until cooked through and golden, add your curry paste and meat and cook until the meat is sealed.

If you’re adding anything else to the curry, then add this next.

Next add the tomatoes and water, and mix. Simmer the mixture on a low heat for 40 minutes. If you are using a slow cooker, add the curry to this now, cook on a low setting for around 4 – 6 hours.

I recommend par boiling any vegetables before adding them to the curry to ensure they will cook through. I use tinned carrots, and fresh mushrooms in mine.

When the curry is cooked, you can serve with rice, potatoes, noodles or anything else you want!

The curry paste does not have to be used to make a curry though, oh no!

It can also be used as a marinade, to make a curried chicken drumsticks or anything else you feel like! It can either be used on it’s own as a strong curry marinade, or you can mix it 50/50 with natural yoghurt to make a more tandoori type marinade. It is best left to marinade over night to ensure it sinks deep into the meat flavouring it beautifully. You can marinade any meat or fish, and then grill bake or BBQ the meat!

Taste

The curry tastes like any other madras you have tasted, it is a hot curry, so if your not a big fan of hot curry, then best to get a different paste; they come in a range of flavours!

If you put too much curry paste in the curry, it can sometimes be a bit “powdery”, so you do need to keep to the instructions. If you want the curry to be hotter, then the best idea is not to add more paste, but to get a teaspoon of curry powder (you can buy this from the spice section of the supermarkets in small or large bags, or even in the tubs like you get chilli powder in). But, my biggest suggestion is not to add any curry powder, but to add chilli flakes or you could use chilli oil instead of vegetable oil, which has a chilli taste to it! Doing either of these things will stop the curry from been powdery but will add spice.

It has a lovely taste to it, but of course it all depends on what extra ingredients you add, if you don’t put onion in it will taste different, if you put for example sweetcorn in, it will taste different. So it all depends on what you like and personal preference.

Overall though a very tasty curry!

== Nutritional Values ==
Well of course a curry is never going to be most healthy of meals. I cannot give an overall nutritional value of the complete curry as it all depends on what you use in it. If you use Olive Oil for example, it will be more healthy that with vegetable oil. But the nutritional values of the curry paste itself is:

(Per 70g serving)
Calories: 180
Protein: 1.7g
Carbohydrates:3.3g
Fat: 17.9g
Fibre: 2.5g
Sodium: 1.0g

In Conclusion

All in all, this curry paste is excellent, whether used as a curry or as a marinade, it is deliciously tasty and is the perfect amount of spiciness for my taste, so I don’t need to add anything to it to add spice!

This curry may be too spicy for children, so maybe if you plan on giving this to a child, you would be best getting a mild or medium curry paste.

It is so easy to make that anybody can do it, but it is been made almost from scratch!

A huge 10/10 for this Pataks curry paste!!

• Jenita123 published 23/12/2009
    A good review..
  • SweetTooth93 published 22/11/2009
    An exceptional review! I'm not overly keen on curry but this sounds like a pretty good product xx
  • paulpry118 published 22/11/2009
    These do make a very good base for a curry