Review of "Pears Soap"

published 14/02/2005 | L0BSTER_QUADRILLE
Member since : 17/04/2004
Pro It is hypoallergenic, Non- Comedogenic + cleans well.
Cons It doesn't last as long as non-glycerin based soaps.

"YOU HAVE TO BE A DOPE, NOT TO USE THIS SOAP."

THE SOAP.

THE SOAP.

I have annoying skin, most soaps either leave it feeling oily or dry. One week after running out of my Neutrogena visibly clear body wash and lacking the funds to replace it. I went in search for a cheap soap that was suitable for my requirements. I stumbled across ‘Pears soap’ on reading the packaging; it sounded apt for my skin and so I decided to give it a whirl.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In 1807 a dude called Andrew Pears created a soap bar and aptly named it Pears Soap.

Pears soap is a hypoallergenic and Non-Comedogenic soap; which basically interprets as: it is suitable for people who have sensitive skin and it won’t clog pores.
The soap contains natural oils and glycerin, making it a natural way to obtain clean and healthy skin.

Pears claim, that each of the soap bars are mellowed for three months, until they have reached a pure transparency. This aging process has been followed for almost 200 years.

Pears soap is simply packaged; in a predominantly white cardboard box, with a few pictures of the soap upon it. The box contains understandable information of the soap as well as its ingredients (see pictures).

The soap bars are all 125g and can be bought from supermarkets or chemists for approximately £0.87.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upon opening the soap we are greeted by a unique; mild and pleasant clinical smell: the actual fragrance is difficult to pin down to a particular aroma. The smell is not overpowering and does not linger after application.
On appearance it is a good-sized chunk of a transparent amber coloured soap with ‘Pears’ indented upon the top and bottom of the soap bar. The soap lathers up extremely and impressively well.

I found the soap to be enormously effective, as claimed, my skin looked clean and healthy. It caused no irritation to my somewhat sensitive skin and my skin was clear, with no clogged up pores. The soap neither dried out my skin or left it feeling oily … result !

Pears soap actually turns the metaphor ‘squeaky-clean’ into actuality; after using it: feel your skin (whilst still wet), it truly squeaks!
I have learnt that if your skin squeaks, it suggests that you have over-cleansed and may be prone to drying out. This has never been a problem for me, however be aware ...

With the soap being glycerin based, it results in the soap seeming to disappear rapidly lasting only a month, or thereabouts; however this is counteracted by not producing the slime that non-glycerin soaps leave when left to stand.

Comparative to other soaps, Pears is on the expensive side however this is forgivable due to its effectiveness and the lack of slime.

Overall I find this to be a simple and practical soap, it smells pleasant and cleans effectively. I shall continue to use it and I recommend it to all.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Be well + smell nice dudes.

• KateHurst published 22/05/2009
    Great review - as you mention, it is more expensive than other soap bars of the same size but the fact that it lasts longer balances this out. (I've bought a few handmade soaps which are similarly long lasting and I wonder if there's something in the ingredients that stops it from melting too fast?) Good detailing on the important things about a soap - lather, price, the look and scent.
  • altojack published 13/03/2009
    Pears soap brings back childhood memories for me. We always had it at home. The smell is unique and I love it. For someone who hasn't tried this soap I would say, go for it guys, you will love it. And it's kind to the skin, why do you think they used children in their adverts!!
  • gizmogizmo published 08/02/2007
    the smell of pears evokes such lovely memories..!!! must purchase some more xx