Peasholm Park Scarborough, North Yorkshire

Peasholm Park Scarborough, North Yorkshire

Park

Review of "Peasholm Park Scarborough, North Yorkshire"

published 30/10/2007 | grafter123
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Entertaining, nice flora and fauna, near to the beach, not over developed
Cons None for me
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Come to the Battle"

I was interested recently to discover that Scarborough is thought to be the first 'Seaside Resort' in England. I was also surpirsed to hear that the South Bay was the original resort. Over the last 40 years or so it has been North Bay that has experienced more development. Scarborough is a large resort situated on the North East Coast of Yorkshire. One of the attractions I have fond memories of,from my childhood to today is Peasholm Park which is situated in the South Bay.

If you are visiting Scarborough for the day Peasholm Park is within walking distance from the train and bus station but it is a fair way. There is an open top double decker bus service which will take you along the seafront from South to North Bay and back again. It is reasonably priced but the upstairs, open top, is only for really sunny days. Scarborough seafront can be a little windy and cold at times. Near Peasholm Park there is also a lovely small model railway which can be taken to the sea-life centre which is a little further along the coast. The main roads take you near to Peasholm Park and so access is easy by car.

Peasholm Park was one of my favourite attractions at Scarborough as a child. We still visit but we do not get to Scarborough as often as back then. When I was young there was a large open air swimming pool across the road from the park. The park is still very well maintained and the lakes have boats to hire such as pedaloes, and motor boats. The main lake has a reconstruction of the Battle of the River Plate, using model boats, during Summer afternoons. I assume they are still operated as years ago. They had a man sat, hidden in the middle of the large model boat. He would move the boat around and fire the 'ammunition' When I was a child people would flock to see this display. As the time of battle approached sunbathers and the like would head for the park. The last time we watched the battle it was still entertaining and there were a reasonable amount of people watching.

There are bridges over the lake to an Island. As a child you had to pay to enter this part of the park. It was themed and slightly different each year. These days it is laid out as a Japanese Garden and I belief there is no entrance fee. You can spot squirrels and various birds around the Island and it is a nice area to stroll around.

There is mini golf which is quite cheap and the prices of the boat rides vary from around £1.50. The cafe serves the usual snacks, ice creams and beverages. If you are around on an evening there are sometimes firework displays.

The location of Peasholm Park is perfect for me. I love Scarborough but find that some of it is overly commercial. The area around Peasholm Park is more traditional. The nice sandy beach is only about a ten minute walk away. Scarborough Castle rises behind Peasholm Park and it is possible to walk down from Scarborough Castle to Peasholm Park. I suppose the problem with Peasholm Park is that it is a little old fashioned. I understand the local council are talking of updating it. However half of the attraction, for me, is it's quaintness and I hope they don't ruin Peasholm Park in an attempt to modernise it.

Recommended for good old fashioned fun.

• S.Bate published 18/11/2007
    A nice description. I must do a bit more travelling and visiting places like this.
  • Paul99ine published 16/11/2007
    Oh.....I LOVED watching the 'Naval Battle!!.....I learned to water ski in Peasholm Park when I was about 10 years old....I've still got the photos somewhere! lol
  • Expired-Account published 04/11/2007
    Nicely written, I won't be going any time soon though, very helpful