Zoo/Wildlife Park/Centre

Review of "Pennywell Farm & Wildlife Centre, Buckfastleigh"

published 27/10/2009 | lazytowner
Member since : 28/10/2008
Just want to say Hi and thanks for taking the time to read my reviews. Am back after a long break..
Pro Loads to do
Cons Cafe is a bit expensive
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"I love Pennywell Farm!"

Pennywell Farm & Wildlife Centre, Buckfastleigh

Every year we usually go on holiday to Devon and one of the places we always try to visit while in Devon is Pennywell farm.

Pennywell Farm is located in South devon just outside Buckfastleigh, when you arrive at the farm you will find a very spacious carpark, even in the summer when the farm is very busy you will find enough space to park the car.

You pay for your tickets inside the shop and the first thing you will notice is how friendly the staff are, the children get given name tags and an activity sheet. You can also purchase food for the animals which was 50p a pot the last time we went there.

As you come out of the shop you will go into the pets corner which is full of animals that you can pick up. Last year there were tiny little ducklings and piglets which were so adorable, there is always a member of staff at hand should you need any help and I have to say the staff have lots of knowledge and really encourage the children to handle the pets.

There are lots of barns on the farm where you will find all sorts of animals such as cows, pigs, goats, sheep, reindeer, deer, minature horses and shire horses. The best thing is you are able to touch the animals and in the Animal Barn you can even go into the pens to say hello to the animals!

Dotted around the farm are outdoor picnic areas and in the Animal Barn there are lots of picnic tables and even a bouncy castle.

When you pay for your tickets you are given an activity sheet which tells you what activities are taking place. Every 30 minutes you will hear a bell and someone will tell you an activity is about to happen and where it is going to be held.

Everytime we visit Pennywell we always take a look in the Farmyard theatre as it is a lot of fun with ferrets races and a puppet show. The best thing is if you are lucky you get to hold or at least smooth a ferrett!

Other than the animals there is plenty for the children to do, for the little ones there are small tractors, wendy houses and lots of little tykes climbing frames.

When you pay your entrance fee you are given a ticket for your child to have a ride on the train, this is a very small train ride which to me is not worth the effort as it just goes round in a little circle but my son loves the train so I would say for a small child they will love it!

For children age 7+ there are go karts, donkey and horse rides, quad bikes,trampolines and an assault course which my nieces think is awesome.
My nieces really enjoyed the pond where they were given some nets and they could dip them into the pond to see what they could find. While we were at the pond we spotted some beautiful dragon flies and this really fasinated all the children that were there.

On the farm you will find a Willow Maze and Tower, we had a lot of fun in the maze which as you can guess is made out of willow, the only problem we had is the maze isn`t really suitable for buggies. Once we found our way out of the maze my son and husband climbed the tower and could see some beautiful views.

There is a cafe which sells refreshments and lovely homemade food, there is room for buggies and you will also find highchairs. Also inside the cafe are toilets which everytime we have been there are spotless.

-To End-

I really want to recommend Pennywell Farm, this is such a great day out for all of the family. We were very dissappointed that while we were down in Devon recently we could not visit Pennywell as the weather was so bad but we will definately be going next year!
The reason why we return every year is because the athmosphere is so friendly, the staff are fantastic and are very helpful and best of all we all have a lot of fun!

On our way out we always take a look in the shop which is stocked with things like toy tractors, cars, books, creepy crawlies, fridge magnets and mugs. Usually with an attraction like this you will find the shop expensive but at Pennywell they have a good range of goods with some things cheap and other things a lot more expensive which is great as I know I can let my son or nieces have something without it costing a bomb an me having to say no to them!

There only downside is the cafe is a bit expensive so I do suggest that if you go to Pennywell to take a picnic with you.

**Prices 2009**

www.pennywellfarm.co.uk - Where you can download a Map with directions

• SusanLesley published 31/10/2009
    This sounds brilliant, Susan
  • morticiaaddams published 30/10/2009
    Sounds lovely!! Nice review.
  • languagetimothy published 30/10/2009