Pentax MZ 5N

Pentax MZ 5N

Review of "Pentax MZ 5N"

published 15/12/2005 | TheZigStar
Member since : 15/12/2005
Pro Performance, reliable, ease of use, clear viewfinder
Cons None
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Reliability
Size

"Exellent buy"

Since buying this camera four years ago it has it has seen extensive use, most intensively with fourteen films shot in ten days on a trip to China, with some stunning results. Since then the majority of use has been shooting landscape, largely using the sun for dramatic effect.

Having used many 1960's Pentax cameras in the S range, I was very happy find the controls seem to falls under the fingers much the same. Though it doesn't quite have the looks or solid feel of the those 60's models, it is still very robust.

I've seen many articles lamenting that modern lenses are no match for the old 60's Takumar lenses, I have little to complain about, and especially given both lenses I have with this are zooms.

I wear glasses and find no problem seeing the viewfinder properly, which is well laid out. This is something Pentax seem to be particularly at, which a select few manufacturers should take note of.

All settings are made used dedicated buttons, and thus doesn't suffer the most common bug bare of recent camera developments, which is hiding stuff in a menu on the lcd menu. I think this is a bonus, as it takes just a fraction of a second to change from metering the exposure just from the center section to full screen metering.

• wildtinsey published 19/12/2006
    I own and use this camera myself so I know how great it is especially when compared with the competition. I quite often use the auto focus lenses i use on it with my other pentax cameras which are manual focus versions. The mz5n is a semi professional camera at a reasonable price.
  • Bigbaz published 30/12/2005