Penzion Na Starem, Brno

Penzion Na Starem, Brno

Review of "Penzion Na Starem, Brno"

published 10/06/2010 | costas1234
Member since : 27/01/2004
Good
Pro Quite near Brno tourist area, 1150 Czech Koruna each night for 2 people, easy to find
Cons Basic facilities, room decor slightly old fashioned and plain
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Penzion Na Starem, Brno Czech Republic"

We visited Brno in the Czech Republic on mine and my brother’s first visit outside Prague. This was back in January 2009. The weather in Brno was quite cold. We took advantage of some low cost return flights to and from London Stansted airport and we decided to book also a low cost accommodation that was near the action in Brno.

We booked this accommodation months in advance directly on the website, and had to only submit our booking details at the time. The prices advertised on the accommodation’s website seemed fairly low and uncomplicated. We did not order a breakfast at the Penzion Na starem, Brno, as we knew that there would be suitable dining options in the main part of Brno. The accommodation was around 15 minutes drive from Brno airport and the price of our taxi was quite low, on our return to Brno airport we used a local bus service and paid a low price.

From a local map I bought cheaply, the location is quite easy to find.
The accommodation was located next to a monastery that we did not visit. The view of the penzion accommodation was interesting, varied and quite pleasant. The streets of Brno were very nice, although when we visited the main centre of Brno there were major roadworks and improvements being done to the area. I found in honesty that the town itself slightly lacked in both quantity and quality of things to do and see, and Prague in my view was certainly a better and more comprehensive visiting and sightseeing experience.

So, the accommodation itself was a fairly old yet well presented building from the outside. When we arrived at the hostel front door, the reception area was at the front. The good thing we liked at the reception area was that it was manned during the day time, and also was a mini bar area of small soft drinks. The check in process was relatively easy and straightforward, although we did not receive much of a warm welcome; it was fairly standard service that we received. After we paid a few thousand Czech Koruna for our three nights stay here, we were given the keys to our room.

The room we were shown to was quite big in size and felt spacious and airy. The decor of the walls were neutrally coloured in white and perhaps a shade of orange. During the evenings even with the light on the room did appear on the dark side. I think the gothic image and general presentation of this place made it appear on the dark side of things. The floors were wooden, maybe laminated which I did not like. The room contained two single beds which were clean and the room was slightly on the warm side as there was a radiator and a boiler near the shower room. On the whole I felt that the quality of the decor was on the poor side. I felt slightly too warm during the evenings as the heating was very warm. The good things about the room itself were that the beds were clean and tidy. The bed itself was fairly comfortable and at least provided us with a few nights of good sleep. We found during one of the evenings at this Pension accommodation that the location of the monastery and some outdoor trade show exhibitions made the place quite noisy at random times. We also were pleased that the room contained a door which opened, and within this section was a shower and toilet. The facilities here were basic yet functional. I was pleased that the shower was working to a very good standard and that nice hot water was free flowing from the shower head. The website says that most of the bedrooms have television inside, although during our stay our room did not have a television. I can not comment on the breakfast as I did not ask for this service.

The location more than anything was good as it was a reasonable 10 or 15 minute walks to the main shopping and tourist areas of Brno. I found the nightlife to be on the quiet side although there were some interesting places such as a casino and some coffee and pubs all nearby the Pension Na Starem Brno. The main restaurant we visited was almost around the corner to the accommodation. I do not remember the name of the restaurant pub, but I do know they had a few Czech and International beer brands advertised outside this restaurant which was also fairly priced and somewhat good value.

Another thing I noticed was that there are no lifts or staircases to the hotel and there were around 10 bedrooms all on the ground floor. This made our stay most straightforward and not complicated in terms of finding our way around the building.

We did not encounter any major problems here at this place, and would recommend this to anyone wanting to visit Brno on a budget (low). The cleanliness of the bedroom and of the place in general was good. The facilities were basic bordering the acceptable limit slightly. I think that the family friendliness would be average as there is a room with bed, shower and toilet that is all. The privacy and security aspect was quite good. The room window view of the car park and the monastery is ok although nothing special to write about.

The website details the price of around 1150 Czech Koruna for a room with 2 single beds. This is approximately £35 for each night for two people visiting Brno in the Czech Republic. It is a good value and interesting place to visit in order to see what is around the centre of Brno.

In January 2009 my Samsung s860 camera broke and did not buy a new camera until December 2009 so I did not take pictures. My overall impression of Brno was good although it was no where near as comprehensive in terms of sight seeing and things to do compared to Prague. The January snowy weather in the place almost ruined my visit but I am sure the roads in the town centre will be spot on by now lol.

• shoppingpenguin published 20/10/2010
    Thorough review with a lot of info :)
  • Essexgirl2006 published 10/09/2010