Review of "Peppa Pig: Little Library - Ladybird"

published 19/11/2011 | D_i_a_n_e
Member since : 15/08/2009
Pro kids love it
Cons 2-3 sentence long repetitive texts
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"Peppa and Her Friends"

I reached the point when I don’t want to know anything more about the 2 little piggies, their lovely family and friends… Unfortunately my sons have not reached this point yet, moreover they are still massive fans of Peppa and George. How come, they spotted the Little Library booklets in our local Morrisons while I was looking for the perfect birthday card for my dear friend and they were so convincing that I couldn’t resist and bought them. Only one copy though.

The first thing after we arrived home was to get rid of the foil that keeps the booklets in the box, then to my biggest surprise they agreed to share the 6 booklets equally. After unpacking the groceries it was my turn to read the short stories.

Peppa’s Friends is a green little book presenting Peppa, Suzy Sheep, Danny Dog, Pedro Pony, Candy Cat and Rebecca Rabbit and his dressing up party.

Peppa at Home is a light lime coloured book presenting what Peppa likes while at home e.g. spaghetti, hide and seek, splashy time

Peppa’s Favourite Things is a light blue book and we can read about chocolate cake, red shoes, spaghetti… and muddy puddles.

Peppa’s Family is a yellow book and not only presents the family members but also what they like. So we can read about Peppa, George, Mummy Pig, Daddy Pig, Granny Pig and Grandpa Pig.

Peppa at Playgroup is the purple book presenting Madame Gazelle, Peppa’s friends, a drawing class and a ballet lesson.

Peppa’s Garden is a lime book presenting what Peppa likes to do in the Garden with her family and her friends. I think this title is a bit confusing regarding the content of the book, but my sons haven’t complained.

The books are made of thick cardboard and they are very durable, not like the box that should hold them together. The pages are soft when touched and moderately water resistant. It looks like the pages are covered with some foil which protects them from wet hands…

The pictures in the book are of top quality and they are colourful, attracting kids’ attention. Despite knowing the text by heart my kids still love to “read” these books. It gives them good ideas what to play or what to eat… Some of you start to sympathise with me at this point…

Educational values

Despite my kids loving these characters unconditionally they have started to ask clever questions like how can a pig ride a bicycle, talk, etc. I can’t say it was the effect of this book only as we have all the DVDs and most of this years Peppa Pig magazine’s, some other books, etc. These lovable figures made my kids’ vocabulary improve a lot, they often play they are Peppa and George and copy loads of things. Ladybird actually is guarantee for good quality children's books.

Overall opinion

I am a bit bored with the stories of these two little piggies but I have to admit that my kids really love them and their interest in something means my interest in the same thing as well… So I know a lot about Peppa’s family, friends and favourite things. I think these booklets are a bit repetitive regarding their content but kids love to hear the same thing hundreds and thousands of times. The story in each book is about 2-3 sentence long, so don't expect a story. For the price I paid for it (around 3 pounds) I think it is okay.

I almost forgot, the booklets have a picture on their back and if you put them in right order, they work as a puzzle and make a big picture. The box that holds the books together help the kids how to put the books in the right order to get the picture of… Com’on you can guess it! (Peppa and her family)

• danielclark691 published 21/01/2017