Jonni_boi 4

Jonni_boi

About me: For anyone who wants to read more reviews from me please visit: http://criticjonnimusicvideos. blogspot.com Without the spaces

Member since:22.03.2007

Who's taken the Lightning????

14.06.2010

Advantages:
AMAZING story line !

Disadvantages:
starting a little out place maybe

Would you read it again?

Story

Characters

Readability

How does it compare to similar books?Very good

How does it compare to other works by the same author?Very good

48 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. VampirePrincessLizzy
  2. Marge3781
  3. linzee_loulabelle
  1. lekshmib
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. shoppingpenguin

This is the first book in a series of 6 books called "Percy Jackson and the Olympians". This is a book I didn't intend to get! I knew, thanks to a certain website, that I would get this book through the post sometime soon, however, my library (as some of you may already be aware of) gets this book catalogue, and I frequently order out of it. This book was in there, but I am almost positively sure that I didn't order this book, but when my order came through and I collected it from the library, this book was in there, I asked if all these books were mine, and the librarian thought I had forgotten what I ordered, however she said they were all mine as no one else ordered anything. So I had nothing else to say and took the books. I have to admit there is a chance that this book is rightfully mine, and that I may have actually ordered it without realising it. But it looks like we will never ever know.

Rick Riordan, is a new author to me, I have never ever read any of his books until this one came along. I had heard that there was a film due out in the cinemas for this book so I tried desperately to finish the book so that I could watch the film on the big screen. And even though I finished the book in time, I never got round to watching the film. Before this series he wrote a book series called "Tres Navarre", which I have never heard of, however I will add the first book to my wish list. He also wrote a novel called "Cold Springs" again I have never heard of but plan on putting it on my wish list. He has done many other books since completing this series and it looks like there's going to be a companion series called "Heroes of Olympus". I think this author is amazing as I was really into this book, and although I am basing his writing style on this book alone, I feel that all his other books will be just as good.

Here is the plot taken from "Fantasticfiction.co.uk", I decided to copy and paste it and make a few changes here and there as I personally could think of a better plot outline, and anyway if I did write a plot outline for you then it'll be similar to this one, and maybe far less exciting and interesting.
"Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse.

Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him.
Pictures
Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan Percy Jackson And The Lightning Theif front cover
The Movie Edition Cover
When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe.

She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea.

Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends - one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena - Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods." But can he do it in time?

Since this is a children's book (in theory, though I personally think otherwise as you will later find out) there has to be a moral to the story-line or some sort of message that is conveyed within the book. And this is totally true, though whether I found that message or not is another matter. I believe that the message to people are that people out there cannot be trusted and that many people may seem friendly but could be totally mean and horrible to you, also people may not be who they say they are, this is also frequently shown. I think it is meant to teach kids about "stranger danger" and also it kind of teaches adults about people around them, as adults need reminding too, in my opinion.

There are many books I really want to relate this book to, but the one that sticks out at me and jumps right in front of my eyes, is Harry Potter. This book has that potential of being that great; however there are many reasons why it isn't. One specific reason which comes to mind is the fact that popularity has changed and because of the "Twilight" series people are more interested in Vampires and Werewolves, and so these books have been shrouded from the light and unable to shine, however through people and their reviews maybe it will get a glimmer of light here and there.

This is a book that is profoundly under the genre: "Children's books" and even though I can understand that it is a book made for younger people, I can see where elements may be considered "adulty". I can't pluck one out of the top of my head right now but I'm sure that people older than will see certain parts different to that of someone younger than me. I reckon I am at the perfect age to understand both adults and children when they read a book, however maybe everyone thinks that as they get older because they remember being a child and what it was like and so is able to understand how children interpret certain books. I could see these novels being in adult fiction, however it is an easy-read, and that is the reason why it is found in the children's area in books stores. I'm not saying children should not read this, as children will interpret things differently to an adult; however parents must be warned that they might read some sort of intentional reading; however your child wouldn't realise.

This book was interesting from start to finish. Okay, so maybe the start is a little confusing and it takes it's time to kick in, but it does and when it does you really cannot stop reading! I also thought the ending was amazing and a writer that actually can make me imagine what is happing and see it as if it was an alternate universe in which I was watching from a window, just makes this author BRILLIANT, and rarely do I find such authors. For people looking for a pure fun read, you may want to pick this one up, however if you are looking for one that will make you think, well go ahead and pick this up. This really is for anyone, in my opinion. This book will stay embedded in my mind for a while and I will probably re-read it (if I ever get the chance) just to refresh my memory of the story every now and then. This sure is a book to keep until the day that you die.

Right, as I have already mentioned, this book is for anyone, even though it is mostly found in the children's area of local book stores and libraries. I think people searching for something to pass the time, will fully love this book. People who are searching for an incredibly out-of-this-world book will also love it. People into Greek mythology should intend on reading this soon, and if it's not even on your wish list, do it now! Historians might enjoy this book. However you HAVE to remember none of this is real that this is a FICTION book and so therefore it may not be what you are looking for; also, to bear in mind, it may be an amazing book to reference to. Is there anyone in this world that this book will not appeal to? Well that is a hard question, there are the people who have never read more than 5 books in their whole life, and however, it could appeal to them. In theory it could appeal to everyone, and if you think this book isn't for you, then at least give it a go, you may never know otherwise.

To be totally honest, I think the beginning could be patched up a little and make it less messy. The beginning reminds me of "Lord Loss - Darren Shan" which throws you into the action and horror within minutes, and although that worked really well for Darren Shan, it's made it a little messy in this book. I have to admit I am plucking at the edges of this phenomenal story to find bad points about it, and that is the only one I can come up with.

The cover of the book I have is a little bit different to the one shown for this book by Ciao. It is the movie edition, and it should be shown above among the pictures that I have attached to this review. I think this cover stands out and jumps out at you, I also believe this is true for the yellow one that ciao displays. However, this book has been re-published twice now (and however many more in the future) and the first cover really doesn't look that good, maybe that was my reasoning for not being too interested in reading the book. And even though time and time again, people repeat these same words: "Don't judge a book by it's cover", you just can't help yourself, you can't seriously tell me that you walk into "Waterstones" or some other bookseller and pick up every single book you see and read the blurb (back of the book). Everyone has been guilty of judging a book by its cover, and I think publishers really should make covers look better. I would presume that the original cover of this book is the reason why this story has yet to receive its shine and glory.

A film for this book was released in cinemas in the UK on 12 February 2010, I have yet to see it as of now (and this may change in the future when I watch the film on DVD) and although I am yet not able to specifically say that it'll be better to read the book before watching the film, I am entitled to say what I think, and generally reading a book before watching a film is a lot better, and my proof is here: "Eragon", "P.S. I Love You", "The Lovely Bones" and many more. These are a few books that I have read before I have watched the film, and if I hadn't read them before then I wouldn't have bothered reading the books as these movies were not as good as the books they were based upon. If you have already watched the film, I totally understand why you have done that, but I totally suggest you go and read the book even if you thought the film was really rubbish!

Well I believe that is it folks! Thank you all for reading, and I sure hope I have helped out many of you!

VampirePrincessLizzy 08.02.2011 08:52

Back :o)

VampirePrincessLizzy 07.02.2011 17:47

Shall be back with an E :o)

shoppingpenguin 03.10.2010 21:43

This looks like an interesting book :)