Review of "Peugeot 106 1.1"

published 20/03/2007 | HoneyBear77
Member since : 19/03/2007
Good
Pro Good fuel economy, quick when starting from standstill
Cons Wheel and pedals offset from centre, too small to feel safe
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"My First Car"

I owned my 2001 106 1.1 Independance for two years until I recently sold it to buy a larger car, in that time I covered 50k miles. I bought the car secondhand for £5000 with 10k miles on the clock.

Driving experience

As the car is so light, even the modest output from the free reving 1.1 engine gives ample acceleration away from traffic lights and at roundabouts. The handling also feels like a go-kart and is great fun driving around the city. However I generally do 30k miles a year on the motorway and its here where the 106 shows its limitations. Passing large lorries you feel very vunerable as you have to hold the wheel tight to stop getting sucked under the wheels of big trucks, I think this is due to its low kerb weight and short wheel base (a blessing in town but not on faster roads). The gearchange is quite nice and you can change gear quickly although the gear stick is a bit too long for my tastes, it feels a bit like a wobble walking stick.

Economy

The main trump card for the 1.1 106. I always calculate my fuel economy when I fill up and I averaged at 65mpg over 50k miles. Each tank allowed me to travel 560 miles and due to its small tank size fill ups don't cost the earth. Note: I do drive very gently but even my wife managed to get over 50mpg driving with higher revs.

Design

I like the look of the 3 door 106 and mine in dark blue looked very smart. The wheel feels very nice to hold, quite small and chunky and the orange lit dash looks modern but I got eye strain at night and found it a bit dazzling. My main complaint is the driving position, both the pedals and wheel are slightly offset from the centre of the drivers seat and I found myself always sitting on the left hand side of the seat. I did not like this and it caused me some pain on drives of more than 100 miles. I don't think its acceptable for car makers to do this and from now on I always check if the controls are placed in the centre of any vehicle i'm considering buying.

Space

Its quite spacious in the front but the back seat is cramped and the seat is too low to the floor resulting in your knees are uncomfortably raised. Additionally the back of the seat is also short and doesn't support your shoulders. Small children will be fine but anyone approaching adulthood will be uncomfortable even on short trips. The boot is quite big for the size of car and dropping the back seat rest gives a surprising amount of space.

Overall

I enjoyed owning my 106 and saved lots of money with its excellent fuel economy however...

The driving position is not comfortable and it feels too small for today's roads with all the large SUVs and trucks. Additionally even though I sold the car when it was only 3 years old it already felt very tired inside with some trim wear and a leaking door seal.

• Bens__mummy published 21/03/2007
    Great review there. x
  • Jossland published 20/03/2007
    lovely little cars
  • Collingwood21 published 20/03/2007
    A cousin of mine bought one of these new and had no end of problems with it - that really put me off buying one.