Peugeot 106 1.1

Peugeot 106 1.1

Hatchback - Petrol

Review of "Peugeot 106 1.1"

published 03/06/2011 | kathboo
Member since : 16/05/2011
House-proud mum, mature student, reader & writer. Thanks so much for my ratings, I promise to return the favour! x
Good
Pro OK on fuel consumption
Cons Driving experience, appearance, brakes
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"My first and last Peugeot"

A Peugeot 106 1.1 was the first car I ever bought brand new. I was so excited, from the moment I saw it standing in the showroom all sparkling and new until the time I first inserted the keys into the ignition, ready to cruise the streets in my gleeming new pride and joy. To be honest, it was downhill from there really!

The appearance
of the car was average. The fact that it was a sickly 'shannon' green colour was my own fault! I liked it for the first 3 weeks but it was the sort of colour that you could soon go off. To look at the car, I think it was a bit feminine looking, a bit too rounded. Ithink I was carried away with the fact that it was a brand car and I was probably a bit blinded to this fact, in hindsight I should have made lots more enquirie first.
The drivability
of the car was nothing special either. I found it quite a shuddery, bumpy ride and it didn't feel to have much power. Obviously, the engine was only 1.1 litre but still I was hoping for a bit more than I got. I found the brakes quite spongy and not very reactive to the touch, requiring a long thinking/reacting distance. lso, the clutch was very stiff and the gears were sticky - it often took a couple of attempts just to get into gear.
Value
wise, I think it was quite a dear car for what it was. It was a petrol car and admittedly not so bad on fuel consumption, but the amount I had to pay out in repairs certainly disguised any advantage I got out of this.
All-in-all
I had the feeling I was driving around in a big lump of tin, with all the bangs and knocking sounds to supports this. Peugeot have since produced the 206 perhaps as a modern replacement for the 106 which was very popular for a while, but personally I still think this is quite an unattractive car. Whether my original experience with a Peugeot has put me off them for life is a possibilty, which is a shame as I know many people are fans of the car. Personally, I will never have another Peugeot again though.

• kevin121 published 03/06/2011
    My Peugeot was the first car I bought (second hand) after I passed my test. I had it for nearly 10 years and enjoyed it, but it was a very basic car and had virtually no safety features we take for granted in modern cars. Rachael.
  • mdstone published 03/06/2011
    I think its difficult to review a car on the driveability due to many influential factors that would affect it. These would all differ from every 106 from car to car. As for your bumpy ride, perhaps your car had alloy wheels with low profile tyres? (which would be the same for any car) With the braking, I would assume cheap brake discs & pads would affect it. If that's what Peugeot put on them brand new then shame on them for cutting costs.
  • azana published 03/06/2011
    I can imagine you'd go off that colour! Guess with a small engine you are never going to get much power. We had a 306 that was pretty good and fault free for 11 years.