Peugeot 206 1.1

Peugeot 206 1.1

Peugeot present the 206 S 1.1 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Peugeot 206 1.1"

published 26/09/2008 | EggheadCov
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Cheap,Cheerful Runaround!"

I have shared this car with my mother now for around 13 months, replacing her old ford orion 1.6i ghia (R.I.P!). Our car is an 05 model, which we picked up for 3.5k with just over 16000 miles which was a very good price. First looks I was very pleased as I didn't see the car until my father brought it home. Very good paintwork and stylish "lexus" lights.First time ride in it, I was in the back seat, I was very pleased with the legroom being around 6'0. Also I was impressed by the comfort of the seats and the quality of the sound system.

Interior: Very comfy, stylish seats, nothing too tacky at all, dials light up nice at night. Sound system is excellent for a standard car, also the control's on the steering wheel to change volume,track etc is a very good feature which I have put to good use.

Engine: Being a 1.1, I was never expecting much power from the Peugeot, although it is fairly nippy for the engine size. It produces 59 BHP and the official top speed from Peugeot is 98 mph, but I myself have only had 85 out of it at a struggle. As of yet, we have had no problems with the engine (touch wood) having covered around 8000 miles.

Petrol Economy: The 206 seems to be let down by its fuel economy, with my mother and I sometimes putting around 60 pounds a week in for fuel, doing minimal trips with the longest being 15 miles away 3 times a week. I was very suprised at this.

Driveability: The 206 is quite a nice car to drive, the power steering is very soft on the arms, acceleration is not amazing but its quick enough to pull out of somewhere without cutting somebody up. The brakes are very soft, which takes a while to get used to, ( I had many a jolted head when I first drove the car) but none the less, the brakes are very responsive.

Reliability: After 6 months we decided to book the car in for a service, the peugeot garage found a few problems including the cv joint, we thought there was something up when we heard a cracking noise every time we turned the wheel of the car, apparently this is a common fault, so I would watch out for this as we had to pay out 500 pounds for the service and for the work to be done. Recently the car also failed its first M.O.T on the steering rack costing 150 pounds with the cost of the M.O.T included. We also had a problem with the wiring of the left hand rear light, but personally I think this is more of a one off fault that a common one.

All in all the 206 is an okay car, It has its ups and downs like any other runaround, but they are very good value for money. Resale value is quite good too, especially considering peugeot have the newer 207 model available for purchase now( I have driven one of these, the dashboard is disgusting, had it for 3 days as a courtesy car). The downsides are the steering problems and the fuel economy, but the spacious,comfy seats, nippy acceleration in first and the actual drive itself make up for this. Personally, I would buy another, but with a larger engine as it seems to drag along a bit after 30mph ish! But for anybody just looking for something to take the kids to school in, a shopping cart or just general runaround, I personally recommend you try out a 206.

• majeedkazi published 26/09/2008