Peugeot 206 1.4

Peugeot 206 1.4

Peugeot present the 206 S 1.4 8v 3dr Hatchback with 5 Speed - (Man) / Tiptronic - (Auto), Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Peugeot 206 1.4"

published 18/03/2010 | LetsGoChantel
Member since : 18/03/2010
Pro It's a good looking car and quite comfy
Cons everything else
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"I disagree with most reviews! AWFUL CAR!"

Well how do I start? It's a blue (common one) 1.4 W reg (200) 206. I got this car on 26th September 2007 (my 18th Birthday) which cost £2,600 and it is RUBBISH! I've probably paid more than that fixing it! To start off with it takes forever to get up to speed (which I've put down to it being an OAP of a car) sometimes it takes forever for it to even start. The button to unlock the car is still working but sometimes the car just doesn't want to lock so now i have to check because i've left it unlocked a few times!

I've broken down 4 times since mid-December 2009 (all call-outs t the AA and tows - on Christmas eve!) and even before that it was failing (both MOT's I've had done) which have both cost me 75-100 quid. The head gasket went about 3 months after I bought it which cost me £350. I know 3 other people who have bought this car and one of them got that bad he scrapped it, another got it written off the road because the engine blew up and the other still has it and is as stupid as me and just keeps getting it fixed. I also know someone who has a peugeot 308 that has had a lot of trouble and someone who has just bought a peugeot 207 and has been towed for it braking down and needing fixing. Peugeot are just generally bad.

Its needed a new fuel injector, cylinder, something greased underneath, the steering wheel is now creaking at me, there's a funny knocking noise as I drive, it's had the usual stuff like wheel balancing and tracking, all new wheels, etc. there was loads of rust and stones? underneath the seats. It burns petrol like there's no tomorrow (it currently costs around £56 to fill it full) which for a small car is quite a lot! my friend has a peugeot 206 (55 reg) and hers only takes 35-40 pounds) and hers failed it's first MOT. I've also had to get the radiator and everything flushed out, i just recently had to get new brake shoes and while they were fixing that they discovered i needed new wheel bearings (they fell apart). I had to get a new water bottle thing because it kept leaking.

My rev counters broke, the lights keep failing, i've had to get a new brake light switch because they kept going out. I've just had a new indicator switch put in because it wouldn't turn off, the engine is VERY noisy and the handbrake has decided it wants to lift even higher, and the brake became spongy at one point which i got fixed.

I can't remember the problems I had during the middle except that it needed a new battery because my dad used to take it to the garage to get it fixed for me as I couldn't afford to keep fixing it!) Oh! and when I was washing it the other day i've noticed a lot of the paint work is rubbing off or flaking off and starting to rust (but I suppose for it being 9 years old thats normal!) the only other thing it did to annoy me was not be old enough for the scrappage scheme!

so overall...very bad car. Everyone warned me not to get one but did i listen? no...because i wanted a pretty car... So my word of warning...DON'T BUY ONE!

Another thing I forgot about (had to edit the review for this) My gear stick is really stiff and sometimes feels like it's going to snap! the other people I know with this car have all had the same problems and I though it was just mine for being older but one friend had a 55reg, another had a 53 and another (the one that got wrote off) was an 07reg! and they all complained about the same problem!

• MEL0611 published 18/03/2010