Peugeot 206 1.4

Peugeot 206 1.4

Peugeot present the 206 S 1.4 8v 3dr Hatchback with 5 Speed - (Man) / Tiptronic - (Auto), Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Peugeot 206 1.4"

published 24/03/2016 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
Ciao police (AKA other members) are now policing even my about me!
Pro Excellent runner; cheap to run.
Cons Not always easy for people to get in to.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"Mobile again."

Having not had a car for a few years or so, I started to look about for another one and came across this one very early on in my search - and bought it three days later! I have bought from Peugeot in the past, and so was more than happy to perhaps be a little bit rushed in my decision - and particularly as the man that I bought from I have bought from in the past, as has my father.

I have always had a fancy for French cars, as two out of the four that I have owned so far to date have been from France. They have always been very reliable and have hardly ever gone wrong on me, but if they have done then parts are cheap and easy to come by.

The particular model that I have bought to give it its official full title is a Peugeot 206 LX; it was first registered under the 2002 plate (although it was actually in fact registered early on in 2003); has a 1.4 engine in it; is silver in colour; has five doors to it (if you were to include the boot as one!), and has five forward gears and one reverse gear. It is the hatchback version of the 206 as opposed to the estate version of it, and the only reason that I can confidently say that there is also an estate version is because the garage that I bought my car from was also selling one.

I paid £1,195 for my car, which to me for a second hand car was extremely good value for money especially as it did come from a car showroom. And because of the size of the engine, it is of course slightly cheaper on insurance and car tax - for those of you who may be unsure, cars that have an engine size of 1.4 or lower are a lot cheaper on these things which make them good cars for first time drivers/ younger people/ those who just wish to not pay out loads of extras on their cars.

My car does handle itself very well on the road, and since I have had it I have done a number of journeys on a number of different roads. These have ranged from local roads in and around Plymouth; motorways or dual carriageways to Exeter and beyond, and country roads or other main roads to north Devon that have included driving on roads across moorlands (Dartmoor to be exact) - and so therefore, I do feel that this is authority enough to be able to comment in this way.

I have to say that this is an extremely comfortable car to drive and to be a passenger in, despite it being quite close to the ground. Let me explain! As this is the first car that I have personally owned for myself for a number of years, I have been able to use my father's car on occasions. His car however is a Vauxhall Zafira which for those of you who may not know these cars very well, are medium sized people carriers that are quite a lot higher and bigger than mine. Therefore at first I felt quite uncomfortable when getting in to a much smaller car, but this of course was only to be expected and I soon got used to driving it.

One thing that my mum found difficult in using my car is how low down it is for her to get in and out of, but she does suffer from slipped discs and osteoporosis which would of course mean somewhat rather limited movements in comparison to myself or other people who are using it (but at 72 and having had slipped discs for over 59 years anyway she has gotten used to it in some ways!).

The features of this particular car are all of the usual ones that you would get in a car of this age plus any added extras that may well be a bonus - air conditioning; ABS; PAS; electric windows in the front; electrically controlled wing mirrors; a radio and CD player, and glove compartment. There are two air bags in the front of the car, and there are also controls for the radio and CD player around the steering block - it has to be said that there are of course two sticks behind the wheel, one for turning controls and the other for lights with a third for radio controls.

In terms of how much fuel consumption this particular vehicle takes up, I have to say that I was very impressed with it. I am able to get give or take at today's prices forty litres of petrol in it, which can last me for about 300 to 350 miles (again give or take) before I have to fill it up again which to me is a good use of petrol to mileage.

This car to me at first had the look of one those dogs that always sticks its nose out at things! The bonnet is a little long and pointy and the boot is quite short and stout, but it is quite an attractive looking car. It is not as fixed and rigid as a lot of older cars look, but it is not completely round and curved - it does however fall nicely in the middle, and although I don't go completely for looks of cars it doesn't make me look like a complete nerd or one of these flashy cars that make it look as if I am over compensating for something else.

All in all I have to say that I am very impressed with the car that I have bought, and I would recommend it to you as an excellent smaller to middle of the range car. It is one of those that would do for someone as an excellent second or third car, as opposed to a first one - I started off slightly smaller, and once I was more used to driving and having a car of my own I then went slightly bigger. Even as a second car within a family unit, as this is the sort of car that does well within this setting as opposed to being the main car within a family unit of being a good little bombing around type car; one that you can just use to get you to somewhere for a day out when you don't want to take anything much bigger, and for similar trips.

This is one of those cars that does exactly what it says on the tin but goes beyond its own capabilities to my mind, and they are an extremely popular car as ever since I have had mine they seem to be everywhere and so I would strongly recommend that you at least test drive one if you are seeking to get another car.

Thanks for reading!

• Secre published 22/04/2016
    Nicely done
  • benhaycock123 published 02/04/2016
    I've grew up in this car, fantastic review. VH!
  • ANNExTHExFLAN published 02/04/2016