Peugeot 206 CC 1.6

Peugeot 206 CC 1.6

Review of "Peugeot 206 CC 1.6"

published 23/06/2005 | khodgetts
Member since : 07/10/2002
Pro Nippy little thing, cheap convertable,
Cons Not so roomy in the back,
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"How cool is it taking your top off??"

I really liked this car when I test drove it albeit that it was smaller that the car I was driving at the time, it was comfortable, very nippy, easy to park and looked great with the top off (I hadnt at that point drove it with the top down). The inside was very compact and I did feel a little clostrophobic at first as my car at the time was a mazda 323 and seemed to have more space. I liked the thought that the car was alarmed and had a deadlock which really is a comfort this day in age. I liked the additional features that was included with the model I purchased (206cc Allure), A/C, CD, leather interior and sportspack, they added to the excitment of purchasing a new car.

I must point out having never purchased a new car did not know what to expect.

The boot is great when the top is up as it is so big and roomy, but very very small when the top is down. It is also not big enought to accomodate a spare wheel but there is a foam kit which will repair the tyre and get you to a garage to get it repaired. The seats in the back are really too small to get any one in unless the passenger and drivers seats are pulled up closer to the windscreen and steering wheel.

When the top is down it is great, however, if you hit a bumpy road the windscreen rattles and if the windows are up it worries me that they might smash with the noise that they make against the windscreen! When the top is up there is a whistling sound that comes from the rear and the sound of the road, but I have been told that this is common with convertables.

I have found the car great to drive, little more expensive on the fuel and insurance than the Mazda but expenses I didnt mind. Great to park I can get it in anywhere!

After a couple of months the roof started leaking and when closing and opening the roof it did not complete the operation and so there was a constant beeping, at this point the roof had only been down a couple of times as I brought the car at the end of Novermber. The drivers door wouldnt close properly and the leather had started to come off the piping on the drivers seat. My concerns started to come in at this point. I called the garage and arranged for the car to go in, I was told that "the cars were not made by hand and is is necessary for tweeks to be made now and again". Fully reassured by this and not at all feeling paranoid I accepted the comments and sent the car back, on its return the garage had made all the adjustments apart from changing the seat which was on order and would be available within 2 weeks, this was in April. The door now closed and leaks had stopped and the car was all lovely again apart from the fact that the car had been returned with a sratch down the side of the car which was done whilst in the garage. 2 weeks came and went and then another 2 weeks came and went and so the saga continued until the end of May when the seat cover was replaced and the scratch repaired. However, on getting the car home I inspected the seat to find a 2 inch rip in the leather on the chair! I am still waiting for a call to say that the cover is in stock to be replaced. I am now find that the car is cutting out unexpectidly, usually when I am in second gear, this is a little worrying.

All in all I am not sure what I expected on the whole, maybe my expectations were a little higher than normal because it was the first time that I had purchased a new car so maybe I am a little more picky than when buying a second hand one. The novelty of having a convertable is definitely wearing off, it is great when the weather is good, but the down sides for me are probably a little more, the two seats in the back are too small, the noises it makes when the roof is up and the concerns that the roof seals may go again in the not too distant future is a concern, as once the warranty runs out it is no longer covered.

I suppose the car is a cheap for a convertable and therefore for it to be so cheap, cuts are made along the way, having been in my friends 307cc I can confirm that paying that little more does have its benefits. The 206cc is a nice car, it looks nice and looks great with the top down. Would I buy it again, no, would I buy from Peugeot again, no probably not - the garage has put me off with their laid back approach to customer service and lack of respect for customers cars whilst in there possession.

It is a fun car, and ideal for someone without kids. Anyone that has one should make the most of it during the summer months because in the winter you will get pay back with leaks and whistling.

• sazysaz published 05/03/2007
    I'm glad i read this review i was planning on purchasing this car in the next 6 months but now i think i will look elsewhere. It is beauitful to look at but i have been warned that peugeout cars are not the most relaible. Very detailed review and very helpful
  • silverstreak published 23/06/2005
    I don't think your expectations were too high at all - a brand new car should function properly within the first few months, as should anything new.