Peugeot 208 1.2 VTi

Peugeot 208 1.2 VTi

Hatchback - Front (FWD) - Manual - Petrol

Review of "Peugeot 208 1.2 VTi"

published 05/08/2017 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
Ciao police (AKA other members) are now policing even my about me!
Pro Peugeot brand.
Cons Everything else..
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"One star will have to do..."

Having personally owned a Peugeot or two of my own in the past and being more than a happy camper whenever I have driven one, I am always keen to get my hands on another one to drive - hence I jumped at the chance in my current employment when I first got the opportunity to drive one, but was almost instantly bitterly disappointed. Needless to say that from now on, I am glad that I only have to drive this particular model of Peugeot about once or twice a week at best as I have to wonder just how they could make such a naff car.

Being marketed as a supermini, it was first introduced to the unsuspecting car buying community in March 2012 as a three door model with the five door offering being made available from June of that same year. Roughly designed to take over from the 207 which ceased being made in 2014, the 208 is lighter in weight by about 170 kg - yet offers more space overall than it, a boot space of 285 litres (which is fifteen litres greater than the 207) and five centimetres more leg room for those who are sitting in the back seats. However to look at the car from the outside one would dispute this, and even on sitting inside the car and driving it do you really get the feeling that it is a lot more cramped.

In comparison to many of the other cars of a similar size that have been made both by Peugeot and other car makers, this one feels as though you are almost sitting on the floor - with a front driving seat that tries to think it is in a much larger car, as when you adjust it accordingly for your own particular driving needs you are almost headbutting the roof of the car every time you go over a bump in the road.

With sizes of car engine ranging from one litre to one point six litres, the car runs on either petrol or diesel fuel. However one has to say that even the petrol model sounds as though it runs on diesel, and so one would recommend exercising extreme caution and forethought before refuelling it. Averaging about 75 mpg, it does not to my mind handle the roads at all well on any type of road and it is not very comfortable to sit in for any length of time - I am not the tallest of people, yet even I find that I am squashed in to whenever I am driving the vehicle.

All of the models have the touchscreen facility that sits on the front of the dashboard, however apart from the radio and the ability to link your mobile telephone up to it by way of the Bluetooth that is on offer there is nothing else worth noting - there is no satellite navigation in the majority of the models from what I have seen; the Bluetooth hardly works, and the radio has its moments of only picking up certain radio stations most of which are not on DAB.

Starting at just over £13,600 for the newest model, I personally cannot see why this particular make of car has proven to be so successful - unless it is just because of the high quality name badge that appears on it. If I could give this particular car no stars than I would do because of its poor appearance; unworthy road handling, and lack of features - however because I am unable to do this, the only other reason that this has been rated one star is because it has somewhat redeemed itself by being made by a car company that I have a great deal of respect for. However I cannot on this basis alone recommend it to anyone else, as this would be betraying my principles.

Thanks for reading!